41. Legolas | One Step Closer

Tumblr : make-me-imagine

Prompt: "I can braid your hair for you- I mean, only if you want."
Requested By: Anonymous

Pairing: Legolas x GN!Reader

Warnings: Mild mentions of injury to arms/hands, bandages. Nothing graphic.

Word Count: 1.2k

***

Your eyes scanned through the trees ahead of you, noting the movement of birds fluttering from one tree to another. The leaves were beginning to sprout from the branches, announcing the arrival of spring. The nearby stream trickled with fresh water. It was peaceful, a complete inverse of the morning you had spent fighting stray orcs on he outskirts of the forest.

You felt a presence nearby, someone walking down the path. You assumed it was a guard, until the presence remained in place. Turning your head, you felt a slight jolt in your chest as you saw Legolas standing in the path, watching you.

"Legolas." You greeted, with a soft smile.

He smiled in return as he began to approach you. His own heart was thudding as he began to walk closer, his eyes raking over you. When he had heard you had been injured in the skirmish with the orcs, he feared the worst. He looked all over for you before finally finding you here.

You had a small scrape along your chin, and your hands were bandaged. He could see the bandages disappear underneath your sleeves. He wondered just how far they went up.

His eyes moved from your body to your head. Your hair flowed freely, as it blew softly in the breeze. It was uncommon to see you without braids or tight coils in your hair. He felt a slight flutter in his chest as you brushed the hair from your face.

"I heard you were injured." He said as he stood near you now.

You could hear the worry in his voice as his eyes continued to scan over you. You nodded, "Nothing serious. But I was knocked from my horse, and tumbled down a hill with an orc. I'll be fine." You reassured him, but you could still see the doubt in his eyes.

"I'm fine, Legolas." You said more bluntly as you smacked his leg playfully. You saw the serious facade begin to fall away as his lip quirked a bit.

He looked out at the trees, his own eyes scanning the treeline. You always likes coming out here. He wondered why he did not think of coming here first.

Movement from the corner of his eye caused him to look back at you. You were combing your fingers through your hair. He found himself admiring the pleasant color of your hair in the sunlight. You began to braid a strand of your hair, and he realized just how intently he was staring, so he forced himself to look away.

A moment passed before he heard a light hiss come from you, causing his eyes to snap back to you. Just as he did, he saw your face curled in discomfort as you tried to reach to the hair at the back of your head. You gave up with a soft grunt, as the braid you had attempted, fell apart.

"I thought you said you were fine." Legolas said, making you look up at him.

You could see the mix of amusement, and chastisement on his face. You simply tutted and rolled your eyes.

He smiled to himself as he turned towards you. "I can braid your hair for you-" He spoke before he really thought that he was saying, realizing so, as surprise flickered through your eyes "-I mean, only if you want." He was almost surprised at how skittish his voice almost sounded, he couldn't help but wonder if you could hear it.

Your face remained almost emotionless for a second, as Legolas waited. His heart began to hammer in his chest. Why did he offer to do that? No, he knew why. But did you?

"Alright." You said a moment later, your voice soft, almost shy, it caught Legolas off guard as you began to turn your body slightly away from him.

He thought he noticed a slight change in tint of your skin, were you blushing? He shook the thought away as he settled himself on a boulder stone behind you.

As he reached for your hair, he noted the heavy hammering of his heart. He slid his fingers underneath your hair, his fingers gently brushing along your neck. He thought he felt your shiver underneath his touch, but he acted as though he did not notice, but he smiled to himself.

You cursed yourself for being unable to control your body under his touch. It was just a brushing of his fingers against your skin, but your body seemed to tremble. Your stomach was full of butterflies as Legolas began to rake his fingers through your hair. The almost tickling sensation as he did so, caused your body to relax slightly.

Legolas wasn't surprised at how soft your hair was, he always thought it would be, it always looked like it would be. He noted the feeling in his hands as he began to braid a thick lock of hair.

You both sat in silence as he began to braid your hair together. As he did so, you could tell by the feeling that he was forming your hair into the multi-braid style you usually had it in. You smiled to yourself, you didn't know he had noticed it well enough to do it himself.

The tension was thick between you, but not uncomfortable. The intimacy Legolas' action seemed to convey, was a little alarming, but nothing either of you ran from.

Legolas took his time as he fixed your hair, silently wanting this moment to last as long as it could. But as the last band was tightened, Legolas reluctantly moved his hands away.

"Done." He said softly.

You turned around slightly to look at him. You had a soft smile on your face, and Legolas couldn't help the stammer of his heart.

"Thank you."

"Anytime." He responded.

You were caught staring at each other, as nether of you seemed to know how to break the tension. Finally, you cleared your throat lightly as you rose, causing Legolas to rise as well.

"I should get back." You said with an almost awkward smile.

Legolas nodded, "I will walk with you."

As you walked back toward the palace, your arms brushed occasionally as you walked closely together. There was a moment when your hand touched, and though neither of you knew it was mutual, there seemed to be a shock of electricity that buzzed through you.

It wasn't long before you were ready to split down another path to continue with your duties. You turned back to him and smiled brightly. "Thanks again Legolas." You said as you touched your hair.

"Of course." He smiled. "I-" He hesitated. Should he offer? "I-If, you happen to need it re-done, I would be happy to help, again."

You smiled lightly, trying hard to fight back a grin. "I might hold you to that. I think you may have done it better than I do."

He smiled in amusement as you began to back away. You spared him one more smiling glance before turning fully away from him. He watched you for a few moments as you faded from view.

Legolas smiled to himself, as his rubbed his fingers together, thinking once again of the softness of your hair in his hands. He wasn't quite sure yet, how to tell you his feelings. But he knew he was at least one step closer.