30. Thorin | It's the Beard

Tumblr : blankdblank

Through the journey Thorin keeps falling and getting covered in dirt and mud around you, even though he tries to be his normal regal self. You always help him back to his proper state as he nervously tries to explain his situation this time, you always say, "Well your beard still looks amazing, that's the important part, right?" Making him relax and laugh.

For his first speech after Erebor is reclaimed he has to give it from the overlook that gazes out over all of Erebor where all of the Kings before him have spoken when they were crowned.

The night before there was a large dinner for the Company and all the soldiers in the Mountain, filled with drinking, dancing and stories and you being one of the few women you were spun across the dance floor for most of the night until you found yourself hiding behind the King in his large chair and giant fur coat as he quietly whispered to you while you rested your sore feet. Until you felt better and he led you around for a few slow dances to go easy on your feet before he slipped you both out quietly and escorted you to your apartment to sleep.

As you headed to the deeper section of the Mountain where the Royal Wing was the sound of the roaring party slowly slipped away, leaving just the sound of your footsteps echoing through the empty halls around you. Thorin glanced over to you spotting the goosebumps rising over your arms under the short sleeves of the dress Dori had insisted you wear, chuckling as he slid off his heavy fur coat and gently wrapped it around you, "Can't have you freezing."

You chuckled in return, "Thank you." as you felt him gently pull your hair out from under the coat before rejoining your side as you pulled it closer around you basking in the heat still trapped inside of it from his body. You looked over to see his eyes skimming across the ground in front of him, showing his thoughts were heading towards the dark edge of his mind, "What's eating you?"

His turned his head with a slightly confused look on his face, "Excuse me, eating me?"

You giggled, "What's wrong Thorin?"

His smile faded back into a straight face and into one that was covered in sadness, "My speech tomorrow."

You slid your arm through his sleeves and wrapped your arm around his snuggling against his arm, "Don't worry, they'll love your speech. I've heard several on the Journey, all of them heartwarming and informative, even the lectures to the Princes were incredible as well."

He slid his hand over your arm letting out another chuckle, before his smile slipped a bit again, "It's the location not the speech." as he gently folded his hand around yours to comfort himself rubbing the back of your hand without noticing it.

"What's wrong with the location?"

"For generations Kings have given their first speeches up there, with their kin. Mainly their parents, grandparents, spouses and children, since Fili and Kili are not my Children they can't be up there with me. Leaving just me."

You rubbed his arm with your free hand as you settled your head against his shoulder, "We're all here for you Thorin, we'll all be listening and watching on."

He let out another chuckle as he relaxed his arm under your touch, "I know, it certainly does help a great deal, I still hope I don't do anything foolish, I landed flat on my face and back enough on the Journey."

You giggled again, as you reached the Royal Wing, "You'll be amazing, just remember, it's"

"The beard that counts." as he let out a laugh you joined him with a chuckle as he stopped outside your door, giving your hand a slight squeeze before he reluctantly let it go as you rested your chin in his shoulder running your other arm around his arms he gazed down at you happily with a gentle smile, telling him, "Don't worry, we will all be there with you, just pick a familiar face before you start if you need it."