28. Fili | Proposal

Tumblr : blankdblank

Through the journey you had found yourself drawn to the golden haired heir of the Durin clan, quickly finding the Prince feeling the same about you as well. Through the Journey and the battle after you had been side by side, each member of the Company eagerly cheering on your union. The one drawback, you were not a Dwarf, none of the Dwarves held that against you, even the returning Dwarves, knowing their race rarely married having only a third of their population being women, the only flaw was your lack of knowledge on their courting. You had learned their language as a child earning a title of Dwarf friend to a well known clan near the Blue Mountains near your human village, trusting you with their language but not thinking to tie you into their culture and rituals as well.

So the Prince eagerly waited, and waited for nearly a year after he had initiated the courting, giving you a braid and a bead, but finding himself extremely happy but slightly irritated that you hadn't proposed yet. He had dreamed of his wedding since he was a child, and seeing as it was the Man in Dwarvish culture to plan the wedding leaving the Woman the job of being gorgeous and standing there, besides the vows. His mind racing through the plans since the day he had met you, but being unable to vocalize them to you until you proposed had him going crazy.

You were mainly a librarian in your old city, also writing small books and plays for people that asked for them, mostly working with children, finding yourself as the substitute teacher when a teacher was on maternity leave. In Erebor you mostly had the same jobs, working in the library and even being able to sell some of your stories in a book shop that Nori ran.

You had enjoyed your breakfast alone then headed off for your shift and quickly returning to your rooms to find the Prince who had managed to sneak away and make a small lunch for you. Smiling as he bore the orange ribbon pinned to his shirt showing it was his birth week, giving you a hug and a kiss on the cheek as you joined him.

Fili spoke as he sat down, "I didn't have much time, but I hope you enjoy it."

You smiled up at him as you grabbed your fork, "It looks lovely, thank you."

You both ate quickly both having to leave shortly after, sharing how your mornings had went, before you left you turned to Fili, "Oh, I need to ask you something."

His eyebrows rose, as did his pulse, he swallowed as his mouth and throats went dry with his nerves, barely able to say, "Ask away." Before coughing to try and clear his throat.

You gave a small smile as you saw a blush running over his cheeks as he gripped the bottom of his long shirt, "I know your birthday is in a few days." His shoulders tightening as he tried to keep himself from shaking, "But I got a letter from Elrond, asking for me to visit for a short meeting. It would be for about a week or so." You gently pulled one of his hands free holding it with both hands as your eyes filed with the sparkles that Fili loved to stare at as you spoke to him since he met you, making his heart nearly stop, "I'm not going to be able to be at your party, I'm so sorry." His heart dropping as he gave a quiet, "Oh." In response as you continued, "But, I was hoping that I would be able to make a night for us to celebrate your birthday, the day after tomorrow?" You tilted your head slightly to the side as you gave him a small hopeful smile, making the ache in his chest subside a little as he saw how adorable you were looking at him like that, he forced out a quiet chuckle and smiled after telling you, "Of course. So you want me to tell the Company, when I head back for the meeting after this?"

You gave a nervous chuckle, making his confusion for your meaning rise, as you said, "I was hoping it would just be us, unless you prefer celebrating it with the Company. But I would hope for at least some time alone with you, should you want it to be a larger party."