Chapter 40

Chapter 40

My mouth was being muffled with something warm.

That was the thought that ran through my mind as I almost opened my eyes. However, I didn’t want to. I was at such peace, my muscles were relaxed,  my mind was at ease. Finally, after a long time, something felt right. This felt so right. Everything about this situation made my heart flutter and toes curl, and I didn’t even know where I was for crying out loud!

When I finally did open my eyes, I came face to face with a nipple. I was baffled as I created some space between me and the bare torso as I realized it was Niall’s. In our sleep, we both had unconsciously met in the middle of the bed, entwining our limbs together.

I didn’t even notice the sensation I was feeling on my upper back until them. Niall was drawing small circles in my back, hoisting my body up so they molded perfectly into one.

This felt so perfect, yet so wrong. I couldn’t be do-              

“You’re not wearing a bra.” Niall smirked as he continued to draw circles on my back.

I let out an embarrassed groan “I was late for work, and I just threw on my uniform. I didn’t have time to put a bra on.”

“So you don’t sleep with a bra?”

“Well, it depends. Sometimes I’m too lazy to take it off, and other times it annoys the hell out of me, so I have no other choice then taking it off” I said casually. Having this conversation with Niall wasn’t that awkward, as we talk about things like this all the time. However, recently, things have been getting a bit awkward between us.

“I know you’re going to get away from me any second, but please just stay for a bit longer.” Niall asked his voice deep, raspy, coated with sleep.

“Ni” I sighed before trying to wriggle out of his grasp. I was doing it for the better of both of us.

“Valerie, just fu*king stay.” Niall grumbled before pulling me towards him once again. This time I didn’t argue because I didn’t want to move. I wanted to stay right there with him, take in his scent, his warmth, to hear his voice. I wanted to feel the contact of my skin on his bare chest, to feel the taste of his lips on mine.

Woah Valerie, too far.

I was just about to open my mouth when Niall cut me off.

“I feel like we’re so different now. Before, we could do things like this all the time and it wouldn’t matter, and now our whole friendship is awkward. It’s not supposed to be like that.” He said his voice coming out a bit hoarse and muffled because he was speaking into my hair. 

“It’s because we do things like this and then act like nothing’s changed.” I pointed out as Niall wrapped on of his legs over mine. He let out a small frustrated groan before he spoke.

“But it was never awkward before.”

“That was before we both experimented with changing our friendship.” I pointed out.

“I guess. But I don’t like how much it affected us.”

“It was our faults to take the risk.” I remarked.

A couple moments passed before Niall spoke.

“I just wish we could forget it.” Niall told me, his voice distant, pained.

“We already have.” I reminded him, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

“It may have been that simple for you.” Niall told me. I let his voice replay in my mind, trying to make sense of what he was telling me. Was it as hard as it was for him as it was for me?