Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Niall’s Point Of View

It has been roughly 42 hours since Lacey passed on.  When Valerie hadn’t come home for four hours, and she hadn’t been answering her calls, Josh, Taylor and I rushed to the hospital.

We didn’t make it in time at all.

Obviously, I didn’t know Lacey for nearly as long as Taylor, Josh or Valerie had. However, it was like I couldn’t breathe. Sort of like the entire world had crumbling down, the weight resting on my shoulders.

On top of it guilt was eating me alive, I knew that I had screwed up, big time.

It has also been roughly 42 hours since that last time I’ve seen Valerie. She refuses to leave her room, Taylor as well. I had absolutely no idea where Josh was, it was sort of like he had disappeared all together.

I had called Harry over a while ago, thinking that maybe he could pry Valerie out of her room. She hasn’t eaten at all in so long, and at random times through the day I would hear things breaking, the sound of screaming and sobbing.

I managed to pick the lock and walk into her room, but I couldn’t have done anything worse.

She didn’t want to see me at all, and it was as if the pain of my heart physically breaking would hurt less.

So I decided to call Harry. He had came over as quick as he possibly could, the news of Lacey’s passing traveled through the group like a wild fire.

I had to beg for everyone not to come and see Taylor or Valerie, I knew they wouldn’t like it. The last thing I needed was for another reason for Val to be mad at me.

Valerie had even denied Harry access to her room, and he had left with a heavy heart and tear filled eyes.

None of the lads, Eleanor, or Danielle knew Lacey well at all. It was just the thought of her lively, energetic self being buried six feet under which broke me.

I snapped back in reality when the sound of the phone line going through ringed through my ears. There were no options, I needed to talk to Jessie, Laura, someone who could tell me what to do. With every passing second I could feel Valerie losing herself and I needed help, I needed to know how to keep her from breaking.

The line had stopped ringing and after a couple second of silence a groggy, sleepy voice spoke, “Hello?”

My heart beat had quickened as my tongue darted out to wet my dry lips, “Yea, um Laura?”

What the fuck was I supposed to say? Valerie was refusing to eat, or even step out of her room because Lacey had died?

My thoughts had been cut when a small yawn rang through my ears from the phone, “Niall, please speak faster I’m falling asleep.”

I opened my mouth slightly, not knowing at all how to form the words. The words should come slowely, not so quickly. I should break it down slowely to them; maybe even tell them my own secret.

“Lacey died.”

The line had gone quite; the only sound was my heavy breathing, and cursing under my breath for just blurting out the words.

I managed to catch a sharp intake of breath from the other line, but the sound of a muffled cream being carried from upstairs tore my concentration from the phone.

My breath hitched in my throat as my mind caught up with reality.

Valerie.

The phone had slipped from my fingers without any consent from my brain, my feet shuffling around and practically flying up the stairs.