Chapter 61. Stepping up

'You're such in a lovely mood today.'

I gave Sideswipe a nasty glare. He grinned as he rolled into the base. He leaned over the middle console and smirked. 'Give me a kiss.' I rolled my eyes before connected my lips with his. 'I really want some attention tonight.' I rolled my eyes again and rested my forehead against his. 'Can you behave today?' He snorted. 'I always behave.' I nudged him and removed my seatbelt. 'Why are you in this mood anyway? Because I forbid you to train with Jazz or because of your new co-workers?' I stared out of the windshield to the few soldiers passing by. 'Little bit of both I guess.' He reached for my hand and squeezed. 'Please, don't be mad at me.' I glanced at him. 'I'm not mad. I loved my former job and then they kicked me on the curb...' my voice broke and I stared him dead in the eyes. 'Because I couldn't protect myself. I don't want to rely on you all the time. You're not always around. You can't be mad at me for wanting that.'

He leaned against his door, chewing on his lower lip. 'Besides, if you don't want Jazz to do it, you can easily teach me yourself. I'm not asking you to teach me how to wield a sword, just the basics.' He hummed softly. 'Let's talk about this later.' I wasn't sure if he meant, we are done talking about it or we will actually talk about it when you're in a better mood. Whatever it was, I didn't had much time debating about it. 'Will I see you with lunch?' He pecked my cheek. 'Of course.'

'Sure, I'll see you here.' He hummed and I hopped out. My morning was just as bad as I thought it would be. I was looking at the clock every five minutes, hoping it soon would be lunch time so I could see Sideswipe and enjoy his company. I still had fifteen minutes and while I got completely burned to the ground, I still sat quietly, typing away a report. It became quiet. Too quiet.

I perched my head up and felt my blood drain from my face. 'Ladies.' Sideswipe smirked. A sexy smirk. They all start at him. 'Sideswipe? What brings you here?' I ground my teeth. Sideswipe grinned at my jealously. 'I'm here to looking for a certain female.' I didn't dare moving. 'Really?' Sideswipe leaned against the doorway, still smirking like a maniac. 'You never bothered coming here before.' He hummed and looked at me. They followed their gaze. 'Her? You're here to see her?' Sideswipe looked back at her. 'Shouldn't I?'

He crossed his arms, still leaning. 'No.' Sideswipe didn't do much as blink and surveyed the female in front of him with a predatory gaze. 'How come?' The eyes were on me again. 'She's here temporarily...' I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment. 'And she's worthless. She's good for cleaning.' I studied Sideswipe's face. Cold and emotionless. The same as I had seen last day during our argument. ''Cleaning? You make her clean?'

'There isn't much I let her do beyond that. Why she was assigned to work here... no idea.' I wanted to end this. They had no idea who he was to me and how much it killed me that Sideswipe tasted the sphere himself and saw how miserable they made me look. The tears pricked in my eyes, trying to seek their way out. Sideswipe must have seen it or sensed it because his muscles tensed. 'Anyway, do you want to... have a drink tonight at my place?'

'I don't think. Do you know who that is?' Sideswipe gestured at me. 'I am her guardian and her boyfriend. I'm not here to flirt with an ugly brat like you. I'm here to see my girl and you're lucky I don't hit femmes that often because I wanted to punch you until no one recognizes you anymore.' Sideswipe eyes dimmed, his face hard and cold. He gestured for me to come to him, which I did. 'You're right, she is working here temporarily because she's capable of doing better things than writing reports and being your slave.' The female flinched, cheeks burning. 'One more word from any of you, and my next visit won't be pleasant.' He slammed the door shut and I waited to say something until we were around the corner of the hallway.

I leaned against the wall. 'Hey, don't cry,' he mumbled. 'You shouldn't have come.' He wiped away my tears. 'I knew you were miserable and and bullied, that's why I came. You stood up for me too when it happened to me, so I won't ignore it either. You're too good for them anyway.' I gave him a watery smile. 'Thank you.'
He kissed my forehead. He hummed and pulled me in a hug. 'I promised I would protect you, so I will.' His embrace was warm and secure. Really what I needed and had looked forward too.

I closed my eyes and listened to Sideswipe's breathing and steady beating of his heart. His hand made a circular motion over my back, soft and gentle. 'I love you...' his grip tightened on me. I didn't say those words lightly. He might be the first person I ever said that too. Sideswipe kissed the crook of my neck and smiled. 'I love you too.' I met his gaze and that cocky, yet sexy grin reappeared on his face. He leaned in and kicked away some lost tears. My body went taut at the feeling and even if I wanted to jerk away, he held me firmly.

His tongue moved to the other side and all I could do was glare as he pulled back. 'That's just gross, Sideswipe.' I rubbed my face with the sleeve of my N.E.S.T shirt while the mech tipped his head back and laughed himself hoarse. 'At least you're not crying anymore and between you and me... I prefer something else—' I cut him off. 'Sideswipe!' My face flushed a bright red and he laughed again. 'You're a dirty male, you know that?' I pushed him aside and walked down the corridor. Sideswipe fell in a peace beside me. His steps eating away the gap between us and elevator. 'You already knew to who you committed, didn't you? I wouldn't be myself without a few dirty comments a day.' I rolled my eyes and pressed the button, waiting silently while Sideswipe kept shifting on his feet.

'Tonight, I'll show you exactly what I like to taste.'

Again, that stupid blush crept up on my face. Sideswipe swung his arm around my shoulders. 'No need to be embarrassed around me.' He was right, flirting and messing with him seemed so easy. Easier than I've ever tried before. As if it came natural, and I have had no trouble baring myself for him. There was no judgement on his face when his hands trailed down my waist and over the scars. He had kissed them, worshipped my slim but scarred body. As much as a cocky bastard he could be, Sideswipe had this sweet, loving side not many people got to see. His true face.

A quiet elevator ride further, we headed for the cafeteria to get some food. My mood had definitely cleared by now. We sat down and I listened to Sideswipe about some sort of new game, but I was more focused on eating. I hadn't stomached to eat much this morning and no doubt Sideswipe had picked up on that sign too. He's much more observant that I realized. Damnit.

Just to see what kind of reaction I would get from the male, I removed one shoe and touched his leg and dragged my foot over his calf to his knee. Sideswipe stopped talking and stared at me, his food just inches away from his mouth. 'You were saying?' I smiled, twirling some hair around my fingers. He cleared his throat and continued slowly. His entire body tensed as I reached his muscled thighs. 'Fucking hell, Skyla. Can't a mech eat in peace?' His voice was deep and lustful. Guess I'm doing my job right. 'I don't know what you're talking about.' He looked at his lap before looking back at me. Dangerous territory, I realized.

'You enjoy this?'

I grinned. 'Very much.' His legs snapped shut, trapping my foot. 'Careful, Skyla. Would be a shame if Lennox caught you screaming my name in a storage room,' he growled. His eyes danced with amusement. 'I bet you can't make me scream though.' He shuddered at the challenge. 'I can and I'll proof it to you today.' Typical young mech arrogance. 'Hmm.' He released my foot. 'And you said I was a dirty.' I laughed quietly. He watched me, smiling. 'I never thought you would be.... this naughty.'

'What can I say? You have a bad influence on after all.'

He smirked and took a bite. 'Does this mean I have the privilege to... see more of you?' He cocked a brow and swallowed. 'I can't get any more naked than I was the day before.' I met his gaze. 'Your real bipedal-mode.' He blinked and stared. 'You want to see what is lurking beneath my armor and codpiece?' His smirk grew as wide as is it could possibly grow. My cheeks blushed. 'Well, well... you certainly are dirty and curious, huh?' He grinned. 'I rarely show people what I have underneath my armor,' he admitted, slumping back. 'I could take off every piece of my armor, show my protoform only Ratchet and Sunstreaker have seen, but it makes me feel vulnerable. My father used to strip me off all my amor before...' his voice broke. His hands trembled. I bend forward. 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I didn't know it would recall so many bad memories. I wouldn't have asked if I knew. Forget about it, okay? You don't have to show me, I was just curious.' I grasped his hands to stop them from trembling.

I saw the terror and pain in his eyes. The trauma his father had inflicted. 'I'm not ready to talk about it yet, but to answer your question... maybe one day I'll show you what my protoform looks like.' I kissed the back of his hands. 'I'm sorry.' He shook his head. 'Don't be. I learned to live with it.' I somehow doubted that, but nodded anyway.