Slytherin / Hufflepuff

It was the final week of November, and James had just completed their last training session before tomorrow's match against Hufflepuff. He felt confident in Imelda and the Beaters, knowing they were skilled players. The new third-year Seeker showed promise as well. However, the two Chasers had been struggling, losing possession of the Quaffle when nerves got the best of them.

James hoped he could hold out until their Seeker caught the Snitch.

James hoped they could hold their ground until their Seeker caught the Snitch. Distractions were the last thing he needed, so he headed straight to the dormitory as evening approached. It was already late, and he had been poring over notes and studying the profiles of the Hufflepuff team. They were a solid and well-balanced group, which started to make him slightly anxious — an undesirable state for a team leader.

As James settled in, ready to sleep, Sebastian entered the room. "Don't you need your beauty sleep or something?" He teased.

"Trust me, I'm already pretty enough," James quipped back.

Sebastian looked at him with concern. "What's been going on with you lately? You've been acting more dramatic than usual."

James raised an eyebrow: "What should this mean? I'm just tired. Training, classes, homework — it takes a toll."

"I'll take your word for it."

"Listen, I really need to go sleep now, so-"

"Right. But remember, if I oversleep and miss breakfast, I'll see you at the game. I'll be the one shouting the loudest from the stands. You won't miss me."

James couldn't help but laugh. "Just make sure to leave out the incendiary posters this time, alright?"

***

James walked onto the field with his team, delivering his final words of encouragement before the match. He glanced at the spectator box, hoping to see Ominis, but noticed an empty seat next to Sebastian instead.

Indeed, it was easy to find Sebastian. He was screaming out loud till Professor Ronen put him down but with an obvious smile. James waved back.

"Where is Ominis? How could he forget? He never forgets," James thought, feeling a surge of anger. Was Ominis really so indifferent that he couldn't even bother to come to the game?

On the top of the podium sat James' father. Although he couldn't see his face, James knew his father always kept a close eye on his games. He chose to believe that Aesop was proud to see him on the field.

James shook hands with Hufflepuff's Captain, Dean Moor, exchanging formal greetings.

"I expect a fair game from both sides. Teams, get ready. On one, two, three," Professor Kogawa announced. The whistle blew, and she released the balls into the air, signalling the start of the game.

As James rose into the air, his thoughts began to clear. That was one of the things he loved about Quidditch. The noise of the spectators, the commentator's voice, and the pressures of daily life all faded away as he focused on the game.

The game started roughly. Despite Imelda being a good chaser, she was one against three from the Hufflepuff, who had more chances to keep the quaffle. Slytherin beaters were matchless, but it was still hard to compensate for other weak team players. James defended the goalposts with all his might, but the score stood at 70-90 in favor of Hufflepuff.

The match ran for at least an hour when both seekers locked onto their targets, flying side by side. The entire stadium held its breath, the tension palpable.

"Focused!" James shouted to Alex, one of their new chasers, as he beat the quaffle.

But in the next five minutes, the game was over. Hufflepuff won.

As they descended from their brooms, James heard cries of joy from the Hufflepuff side of the field. Their team celebrated, pushing and hanging onto each other in euphoria.

James felt crushed. All their hard work seemed to have been in vain. But he knew he needed to say something to his team. He turned to them, trying to put on a bold face.

"It was a good game. We held our ground, even though we were beaten. Honestly, Hufflepuff was stronger today. But this just means that we need to work harder. We still have a chance to win," James said, clapping each member on the shoulder as they made their way to the changing room.