The Wildest Rose

The noiseless breath warmed skin through the clothes. James' back was smoothly billowing. He could sleep so deeply yet completely silent.

"Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is", Ominis' fingers brushed unruly hair. "If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me a word that he has come back." Arms wrapped tighter around his waist. Ominis closed the book.

This novel held a special place in James' heart. Almost every evening, he would sit down to edit its pages, adding his own personal touches, just so he could hear Ominis bring them to life with his voice.

His love language is expressed in an unobtrusive but thoughtful presence. He became a caring voice in Ominis' head. "How long has he been there?"

If you think about that, it has started around the beginning. But it wasn't clear when the feeling of appreciation and trust turned to admiration and then to something even bigger. For Ominis, it happened naturally.

James was the sun, the sweetest voice, the warmest skin. He knew the right words, together with all Ominis' sins and weaknesses. There was something unexpectedly soothing in collecting weapons and handing them into reliant hands.

"It could be already your birthday", his whisper rustled above the mute space. "A little man with golden hair will be here to comfort you."

"Even if Rose retains its thorns?" a sly lurking voice bragged from the dark.

"You cannot love Rose and cut its thorns."

***

It wasn't often James walked into this room. The time had stopped here. And it felt like a fact, not a figure of speech. Furniture, pictures on the walls, and even the curtains remained untouched for past years. Things were lying almost exactly as they were left. Knitted doilies on the table, smiling photos, the one and the same tea set on the bed table, and the book collection.

James sat on the bed corner, watching questionably the man's back, which showed underneath it. The key and the envelope settled on his lap. After a minute the whole man appeared, holding the wooden box.

"Niamph would want you to have them."

"What are those?" James took the box.

Aesop sat beside. "Some of her ideas, drawings, memories", his eyes passed the container with a tender glimpse, dwelling on James's face. "I noticed you were interested in this work recently. Perhaps you would find it useful."

"I- Thank you." James felt uneasy, he didn't know what to say. "Now do I have to give him sentiments or something?" Not every day Father showed signs of fondness. "Don't you need to be somewhere? Eeee- Not that I'm against your presence. Just- Why are you not at some business anyway?"

It was odd to see him home during the day. Even if he was a retired Auror and now, in summer, when his teaching practice was on pause, Aesop always found a deal to be busy with.

"Today is your birthday." Aesop seemed unwounded by that remark.

"Right." James still couldn't come up with any topic to fill the awkwardness. "A bit too late for that. Crap. And what is he expecting now? A family weekend?"

The silence was ringing.

"You are already seventeen. And I still remember you with golden locks."

James felt unexpected pity. "Would you like to have a walk with us? In a pub maybe? I'm paying. Since I'm already seventeen." He wore a fake smile, it felt wrong to make jokes with Father.