The Boy and the Moon

The winter holidays flew by faster than they had hoped. Ominis and James eventually joined Sebastian and Anne.  It was the best last days before studies resumed.

Sebastian chose to stay with Anne to ensure she wouldn't be alone. It appeared that the tension between them was gradually fading. Every morning, Sebastian travelled to Hogwarts Castle using the Floo Network, making him the first student allowed to study in this manner. Although physically tired from the commute, he was grateful to have his sister back by his side.

January passed with the task of renovating their home, as they had many memories they wished to bury. Despite their efforts, remnants of Solomon's belongings kept resurfacing. Anne stored them all in boxes under her bed, and occasionally, faint cries could be heard echoing from her corner.

Solomon was far from the world's best uncle. His severe temper often made it difficult to discern whether he genuinely loved his nephews or if he simply felt obligated to care for them. Regardless, Solomon did his best to take care of them in his own way.

During the time when Ominis and Sebastian's friendship wasn't rocky like nowadays, Ominis would often spend holidays at the Sallows. It was a better option than surviving at the Gaunt Manor.

Solomon treated him almost on par with his nephews. This deepened Ominis' connection to Solomon and also carried his own grief for the man.

On the other hand, James held little affection for Solomon. Given that he was a former Auror like James' father, he found it difficult to believe that Solomon had ever possessed any genuine care or compassion.

However, witnessing Solomon's interactions with Sebastian caused James to reconsider his perspective on his father. He thought, "Perhaps, in his own way, he does try to show some care." Regardless of their differences, James was certain that Solomon did not deserve the tragic fate that had befallen him.

In the lead-up to the Slytherin-Ravenclaw game in early February, the excitement among the students reached its peak. The Hogwarts corridors were filled with students proudly displaying their team colours and badges, engaging in passionate debates about the upcoming match.

James found it increasingly difficult to focus on his homework due to the constant stream of encouraging gestures he received throughout the day. While the intentions behind these gestures were meant to be supportive, they started to become bothersome.

One thing that brought James some relief was that Professor Ronen, a dedicated quidditch fan, didn't assign any homework in his class. This gave James a much-needed opportunity to rest and prepare for the game.

With the match scheduled for the following day, it carried great importance for the Slytherin team. If they were to lose this game, their chances of winning the Quidditch Cup would diminish significantly. The pressure was mounting, and James felt the weight of the team's expectations on his shoulders.

James lay upon his bed, engrossed in a light-hearted book that whisked his mind away to distant lands. A gentle knock interrupted his reading.

"Yeees", he called without looking up from reading, his voice casual and unhurried.

"Getting ready for tomorrow?"

"Not really."

"Nervous?"

"More likely thrilled. I'm trying to relax and calm down, so I can get a good night's sleep."

The bed sagged under the weight of another person.

"Why is your room always empty? Where is everyone else?" 

"They have their own lives, always bustling about. It's us who like staying inside."

"Is it bad?"

"Mmm, no. Why? Do you feel like you want something else?" James was slowly turning the pages.

He felt a warm weight on top of him and a tight embrace. Soft strands of golden hair brushed against his cheek, leaving a gentle tickle in their wake.

 Soft strands of golden hair brushed against his cheek, leaving a gentle tickle in their wake

"What are you reading?"

"A poem," James replied. "It tells the tale of the Boy and the Moon. The Boy, filled with longing, yearned to steal the Moon away, so there won't be a night anymore."

"I didn't realize there were tales in the library."

"They are quite rare. Would you like me to read it to you?"

"I would be delighted. Please."

James opened the book from the begging, his fingers delicately caressing the golden hair.

"On the mystical island of the Abyss, 

Where untamed spirits dwell, 

Lived a wild creature, part boy, 

Part of a moxie's spell..."