Suitcases

Captains shook their hands, and the match started.

Last month Gryffindor narrowly won over Hufflepuff and now was playing against Slytherin. If Slytherin manages to win this game, the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will be theirs.

The Gryffindor team rapidly scored. Chasers from both sides were brutal. Gryffindor has a well-built attack line. Their ordinary moves were diametrically opposed to what they were performing now.

It was already 60:10. James took the time-out to change the tactics. He felt in his element. The more challenging game was, the hungrier he became to snatch the Cup.

They strengthened the defence positions, without giving Gryffindor the opportunity to score new points.

The Slytherin seeker, Irie Jones, was the fastest one in the whole season. James wrote the personal training program for her and he had faith in her talent.

More than an hour passed since the beginning of the game. Usually, the Snitch is already on the field at this time.

Both teams were focused on the edge with no usual shouting between the players. They merged in the process.

James noticed that seekers speeded in the same direction, disappearing from view. He didn't need to remind the team not to lose concentration.

In a couple of long minutes, they heard an end-game signal and the commentator's voice was congratulating Slytherin on winning the Quidditch Cup.

***

This time the Slytherin Common room broke all records with the number of fireworks and noise.

James sat on the steps towards the rooms with cold butterbeer, watching every team player tossing into the air and the Cup passing from hand to hand.

"Here you are!" he saw Sebastian squeezing through the crowd. "I found him. Ominis! Where is he now?"

"Ouch, rats! I- I am here". He forced his way through the backs. "I am not sure if my toes are still in place. James! You were brilliant!"

James smiled in great delight, taking a drink. "Thank you. I took a very comfortable position, you know. First, you need to train a team and then they will do the rest."

Ominis sat from one side of him and Sebastian from another, throwing a hand on his shoulder.

"Such well-mannered and modest", said Sebastian. "How are you even in Slytherin?"

James laughed and beer came out of his nose: "Phah. Me? Modest? Please, I know that I am supreme at initiative."

"Now this is it!"

"And still you are delicate enough to build trust within the team. They seem to respect you as a Captain. Be sure it is as much your victory as theirs", Ominis' hand laid on James' knee and he felt a warmth in his chest.

***

The suitcases were packed. They were supposed to leave Hogwarts soon.

In two days, it will already be summer. The air was sweetened with notes of honey and tree leaves sleepily whispered in the wind. James' head rested on Ominis' lap, his chill fingers feeling James' features.

"Have you decided where you'll be?"

"It is time for me to unbury memories from home, I guess." There was something like acceptance in Ominis' hazy eyes.

"I thought since Anne came back, you will return to Feldcroft."

"Life is not always what one wants it to be. Yes, I want to return. But no, I won't be able to withstand it."

James wrapped his arms around Ominis' waist, nuzzling into his belly. "I don't want you to be left there. We'll figure something out."