Intervention

The room was dimly lit, awash in shades of grey. The rugged furnishings, ingredient barrel, and book-lined stone walls ideally suited their owner. James lounged in a chair, absentmindedly twirling a fwooper feather. The door creaked open.

"James, you're here already. Excellent." The man entered and pulled a chair up, opting to sit opposite him instead of behind the professor's desk.

"Yes, I finished earlier than expected."

Visits to his father were never enjoyable for James. They were dull, uncomfortable, and seemingly devoid of purpose. He wasn't even sure if his father genuinely enjoyed them or if they were merely deemed "necessary". Finding a suitable topic for an hour-long conversation felt like torture.

"How is your training progressing?" Aesop inquired.

"Not bad. I still struggle a bit with the chasers," James replied, his gaze fixed on the feather. Having some activity to occupy himself made the conversation more bearable.

"They could be better, but the rest of the team is competent," Aesop remarked.

"Well, thank you, I guess. We've put in countless hours to become 'competent'." James stroked the feather, waiting for the conversation to run its course.

"James, I need you to look at me and answer some questions," Aesop's voice remained steady. James paused and looked up.

He hated making direct eye contact with his father. It felt as if someone had invaded his mind and was reading it like an open book, even though Aesop had never used legilimency on him.

"As your father, it is my responsibility to know about the whereabouts of your friends. And I find the series of events surrounding Mr Sallow rather suspicious. Firstly, the caste exploration..." Aesop's smile was shrewd. "Yes, James, did you think I wouldn't find out?"

He continued: "Then Mr Sallow's uncle passes away and Mr Gaunt went to great lengths, coming up with an explanation for the Headmaster."

"If you have something to ask me, just do it," James interjected, growing irritated.

Undeterred, Aesop maintained his unwavering gaze, locked on James' eyes. "Mr Gaunt's explanation doesn't satisfy me, and I am inclined to continue the investigation."

A pit formed in James' stomach.

"You're aware that certain knowledge should not fall into the wrong hands. Those who possess it must handle it with great care," Aesop stated, his look full of meaning.

"What exactly are you insinuating? That I taught him something?" James burst out laughing. "You can't be serious."

In truth, James possessed extensive knowledge of dark magic. He had no choice, given that his father was a former Auror. Aesop had even taught him about the Unforgivables. To understand the enemies, so to speak.

"Do you have any knowledge of this matter or not?"

Aesop's expression remained unchanged, and with each passing moment, James felt his anger mounting. The most ludicrous part of it all was that he had nothing to do with it. Moreover, he had spent the majority of the previous year in solitude.

"I have nothing to say to you."

Aesop sighed, closing his eyes. "Remember, sometimes inaction is equivalent to crime."

***

"Perfect!" James thought sarcastically. "Now it's all my fault. What was I supposed to do? Drop everything and rush to save him?" 

He irritably covered the plant with soil, trying to distract himself.

"Are you feeling alright?" Ominis whispered, noticing James' distress as Professor Garlick walked by their tables. Sebastian was working nearby.

"I'm fine," James replied curtly, continuing to pour soil into the pot.

"After class, do you want to have a moment together?" 

James' heart skipped a beat. "'A moment together.' Such an innocent but frank thing to say."

"Yes, sure," he mumbled in response.

***

They sat together on the bridge, their feet dangling in the air.

"And out of all the possibilities, he thinks it might be my fault. As if I don't already carry enough guilt," James sighed, gazing at the mossy hills with Ominis resting his head on his shoulder. "You know the dark magic too, for Merlin's sake!" He quickly added, "Sorry."

"We can't continue like this, Ominis. This should be the last time we cover up his mistakes," James said with a heavy tone.

"I...understand that you are right. You may notice that I cannot trust our friendship with Sebastian the same way anymore. I only engage with him when we are all together. And..." Ominis confessed, "I'm not sure if I can overcome this loss."

"We don't have to say goodbye. He's still our friend. But I believe you deserve better, and I... I can't spend my life hiding someone else's flaws," James said, gently pressing his cheek against Ominis' head.

"I might have an idea on how to bring this to an end."