Chapter 26

Before I could respond to who I now know is Jiraiya, the blond woman at his side turned swiftly toward the doorway they entered from and cut us off, "We have company."

The white-haired man helped me to my feet, his friendly grin sinking into a severe line, "Do you think you can run?"

I nodded, eyes dancing nervously between the two of them. I just drained two people, so any injuries I may have had are long gone, and energy is all but crackling through my limbs, ready to be used.

"Follow us, then. If we get separated, meet in the alleyway behind the Oasis bar. Let's go."

They immediately began rushing out of the room, the same way we came, and I was surprised when we exited the underground building to see Kakuzu, Kisame, and Nagato slow to a stop multiple yards away.

The blond woman spoke before anyone else could, "You two go ahead; I'll catch up."

I shook my head, eyeing the Amegakure advisors warily, "But-" "She'll be fine. Come on."

Jiraiya grabbed my wrist and pulled me along as he sprinted toward what I assumed was Kakurega. It's much closer than the last time I was outside. I turned my neck to look back in time to see the woman lurch forward to intercept Kisame, who'd tried to follow us, but I couldn't keep my eyes on her any longer because I had to watch where I was going.

My wrist was released after a moment, and I focused on maintaining Jiraiya's pace, "Will she really be okay?"

He nodded with sharp eyes focused straight ahead, "Tsunade's the strongest person I know."

After a few more minutes of fleeing, our arrival at the village was swiftly approaching. Jiraiya glanced my way, "It's best to pull your hood up. If a pretty little thing like you catches the wrong beast's eye, it'll only be more trouble."

Luckily those traffickers hadn't taken my clothes, so I pulled my bloodied cloak's hood up as far as it would go, unsure of what to expect once we passed into Kakurega's border.

Immediately upon slipping into a dark alleyway to move more slowly in the shadows, I realized that Matsuri had correctly warned me. When I still lived in the low-class area of Konoha, the streets would be littered with drugs and violence all the time, but more specifically, at night, and I thought that was intimidating. That seems like nothing but child's play compared to this. Within five minutes of entering the village, I heard no less than three people getting attacked in the nearby alleys or streets.

Jiraiya instructed me to remain close and keep my head lowered to not meet anyone's eye. Even if I'm no longer a weak little human girl, my hands trembled with fear at the inhuman sounds and unfamiliar scents. There are monsters here; that much I now know is true. The smell of more than one being I've never encountered before was sending waves of intimidation crawling up my spine.

Maybe fifteen minutes later, I felt a presence suddenly appear right behind me, and I instinctively swirled around to defend myself. My fist was caught by none other than the blond woman that Jiraiya had referred to as "Tsunade". She didn't have a single scratch on her, proving he was right to trust in her ability to hold her own. The woman reached to pull my hood further forward and nodded in her traveling partner's direction as a silent signal to continue moving.

The three of us moved quietly and slowly for more than another hour before Jiraiya finally stopped at what appeared to be a cellar door. After looking around to ensure no one else was around, he opened it and gestured for me to go inside. I glanced between my two new acquaintances, worried this was some sort of trick, but eventually relented and began descending the steps.

Kakashi told me I can trust this man, and I trust Kakashi with my life. We haven't spent much time around one another, but he's been there twice for me already. All of the Uchihas, Madara and Sasuke included, don't have an ounce of doubt about him, either, so that's enough for me.