Chapter 53

A day passed.

Ino's getting upset all over again because she can hear Hidan's thoughts about how he thinks Sakura's alive. I sat between Madara and my mother at the dinner table, with no one speaking and only a few people even bothering to eat. I don't know why I come downstairs at this point. Sai, Ino, Itachi, Temari, and Izumi sat across from us.

Both babies were upstairs sleeping, for once. Sarada is quiet and mild-mannered for the most part, but she doesn't sleep well. Inojin hasn't either since our return. Normal vampire children don't need to rest daily, but neither of them is normal.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to raise a child at all, but especially one that's special like Sarada. Ino's too distressed to help, and she already has her hands full with her own kid. Nothing my daughter does irritates me. The changing diapers, feeding, and occasional crying are nothing. In fact, I'm happy to do it. She's all I have left. She-!

A sharp, sudden bolt of fear flooded my chest, making my spine straighten.

Before I could comprehend it, Madara reacted similarly, and then Ino's tired blue eyes darted up to us, wide with disbelief. That sensation was precisely how it felt after Sakura ran away from Sunagakure. I shook my head, tears welling in my eyes.

"It's just a hallucination. She's gone. Don't say anything, or everyone will get upset," I thought, hoping Ino would listen.

This isn't the first time it's happened to us. It never stopped, even though we both know she's dead. I think it's an after-effect. It's also probably why Hidan thinks we somehow revived her. No one in the castle has ever lost a fledgling before, so there's no one to ask advice from. Izumi lost her masters, but that's different.

"What if it's not? What if Hidan's right?" Ino's voice rang through my head, her gaze locked firmly on mine.

I glared, gritting my teeth. She frowned, adding, "Go to the crypt and verify she's still there."

"...I can't, Ino," I responded. I barely made it through the funeral. There's no way I can go to that empty, concrete place again.

All vampire royalty, no matter what city, village, or country they hail from, are buried in one massive crypt in Ishigakure. That specific village is famous for the stone in its mines, called Muteki Diamonds, which stand the test of time better than any other known geode and are the hardest rock ever discovered. It took hundreds of years to process enough to build the large crypt.

The fact that someone who'd been so warm will forever rest beneath such cold, lifeless stone makes me sick.

"Please, Sasuke!"

"There's no way she's alive."

Ino suddenly spoke aloud, tears rolling down her cheeks as she stood angrily, "How can you just accept it? Did you even love her at all?"

"Because it's what she would've wanted," I rose to stand as well, thoroughly pissed off at the blonde. Everyone stared at us confusedly except for Madara, who kept his blank gaze on the table as though in deep thought and not hearing us at all.

Mother stood, placing a calming hand on my back, "Let's take a deep breath and calm down, you two. Nothing good will come from arguing like this." After holding Ino's glare for another moment, I left. No one stopped me.

Upstairs, I fell lifelessly onto the bed, sparing Sarada a glance to ensure she was still asleep before closing my eyes with a sigh. I thought things would be a little easier since I finally cried.

I looked over when the door to my room opened and closed to see Madara enter. He didn't bother looking my way as he sat in the rocking chair beside the crib and watched Sarada guardedly. Frowning, I rolled onto my stomach and buried my face in the pillow.