Chapter 48

"Sakura, you need to tell him," Kakashi said while we stood by the van, waiting for the others to return from the rest stop so we could get back on the road.

It's been two and a half days since we left Konoha, and my condition wasn't improving, that's for sure. I kept my gaze on the ground, not responding because he already knew what I'd say. Until I have absolutely no time or choice left, I'm not doing it.

It feels as though I'm delusional, trying to convince myself that all these symptoms are merely from whatever ailment's turning my skin colors and sapping my energy, but yesterday, it kind of sank in.

Who am I trying to kid?

I'm absolutely, positively pregnant.

It occurred to me yesterday because I officially became a week late for my monthly cycle. Once in a while, it'd fluctuate by a day or two, but never seven entire days.

Rather than break into sobs and have a panic attack, I'd sat there in the back seat of the van with a blank face and mind. Acceptance brought some clarity I never expected. Now that I know what's going on with me, the "unknown" pile has become slightly smaller, offering a strange type of comfort.

"Your turn, Saku!" Izumi approached with a broad, friendly grin.

The young woman has proven to be a moral booster on this trip, not just for me but for others. If the mood became too heavy, she'd expertly start a conversation on some random topic to distract everyone. It hasn't failed once.

I think Temari was correct when she said she believes Itachi's begun to fall for Izumi. The smile he gets when she's speaking directly to him is one I've never seen, almost entirely carefree.

Closing the bathroom door behind me, I turned to cross the room, only to freeze when I caught a glimpse of my reflection.

No. No. No! This can't be happening. Not yet.

It was subtle, but it was there, the first hint of a baby bump under my dress. It took two days for my body to go from underweight to this. What will it look like when we arrive in Iwa in two more days?

Sasuke must find out before then, or Kakashi will tell him in my stead. That was the agreement we'd come to. How can I do it, though? We haven't been alone for more than an hour since leaving Konoha. Sure, Madara would be the next person I tell, but my fiance deserves to find out alone.

After emptying my bladder, I washed my hands and gritted my teeth. I just have to do it. I'll give myself a deadline. Tomorrow before dark, Sasuke Uchiha will know that he's a father. If I wait any longer, it'd just be disrespectful.

So, we got back on the road. At some point in the middle of that same night, I woke up in a panic because alarms were going off inside me like sirens. Sasuke turned in the front seat to meet my eye, likely having heard my heavier breathing.

Realizing it was just like when we were traveling to Sunagakure and had been attacked, I blurted out, "W-We're in danger! Get off the-!" It was too late.

A loud thump, akin to driving over something significant, sounded, and then the vehicle was flipping. Once. Twice. Three times. Then, it came to a bloody, shattered-glass-filled stop. I lay stunned, staring at the smashed front windshield from where I'd landed on the van's ceiling. It had stopped upside down.

"Sakura! Sakura, are you alright?" Kakashi's face came into view, snapping me out of my daze.

I grabbed his outreached hand, and he pulled me out of the destroyed vehicle as gently as possible. Other than some mild bodily discomfort and minor cuts, I at least didn't feel seriously injured. Once on my feet, I saw Madara accept Sasuke's offered hand and stand up, both with eyes ablaze and searching the vicinity for what'd caused the crash.