eight

April 7th Chicago IL

"That lot sound loud," Jess muttered stretching her arms "Only a couple of hours though."

"You know this is my favourite dance yet." My other backup dancer Josie smiled and I smiled back as I checked my mic over one more time.

Elliot entered the under stage room, "Okay everyone I want big smiles, happy faces and big gestures. Melody announce the words more when we get to the song 'here'. Show time people."

He passed me the three pills in my hand which I passed right back "Melody what are you doing take them?"

I shook my head "No thanks."

He brought his face closer to mine "If you want to do somewhat well take them. Don't pin your failure on me."

I nodded and took them quickly, I didn't have the time to argue, within minutes I was on stage and the first song was playing.

"Chicago!! Let me hear you all!" I shouted as the music began, my back up dancers in starting position.

As much as the dancing was not my thing, I liked sharing the stage with fifteen other people and we all got on very well, I think dancing bonded us well.

Endorphins   =    love

I was only two songs in when my thoughts began again, the fact the stage was so much closer to the fans that my feet were within three inches of people grabbing at me.

Thousands of people looking at me.

Thousands of people shouting at me.

Thousands of people clapping at me.

I tried to keep up with the dancers around me as my mind was more discombobulated by the second "I'm so into you, I can barely breathe and all I want to do is fall in deep."

I kept smiling as the world around me was spinning, what the fuck is going on?

"But close ain't close enough Til we cross the line, hey, yeah So name a game to play And I'll roll the dice, hey." I continually sang.

"Oh, baby, look what you started The temperature's rising in here Is this gonna happen? Been waiting and waiting for you to make a move (ooh, ooh) Before I make a move (ooh, ooh)"

As the singing continued my body began to stop, the dancing behind me continued but my body remained still, "Melody?" Jess whispered as she began improvising with me.

"Um baby come light me up, and maybe I'll let you on it. A little bit dangerous but baby that's how I want it...."

I kept singing but i wasn't sure what was happening, my mouth was moving but was sound coming out?

My body was still and the world was stopping around me, the bodies stopped clapping or moving at all, Jess was becoming blurred and my ears were ringing.

I looked out to the distance, signs were waving in the air "Charles Leclerc and Melody V forever!!"

The music had stopped as I stood there, phones were watching my every move as my heart rapidly beat in my chest.

"Thank you everyone! We will be back in five minutes!" Audrey came out of the side of the stage and pulled me in to the back of the stage with her.

"What the fuck are you doing? What the hell was that mess? Do you want to give these people refunds? No." She exclaimed as I looked at her confused.

Jess interrupted "Elliot gave her three."

"Fuck." Audrey mumbled holding her hair in annoyance, "Melody. I know you're confused so you are going to stand on that stage and sing a song with no dancing. Turning tables."

Confusion was evident, I had no clue what bloody day of the week it was but I was so aware of what I wasn't aware of.

"What is Elliot giving me?" I asked Audrey who sighed as she pushed me back onto the stage after chucking a water bottle my way and splashing water on me.

"Sorry Chicago! Technical difficulties." I laughed as did they, yeah it wasn't fucking technical difficulties.

"Tonight I want to sing a song that means a lot to me, what do you say?" I asked and the crowd screamed happily.

I began to sing turning tables, one of my most meaningful songs. I stood on the stage and closed my eyes as I sang, trying to remember each of the words.

As the song was over I easily continued throughout the whole set list and the dancers came back on and we salvaged the show completely.

"Thank you Chicago! You're as wonderful as your pizza." I joked as I walked off of the stage.

I was instantly passed my phone as I sat down to see text messages from a very concerned Isa, someone in the audience was live streaming the whole performance and Isa had been watching.

Isa 🦋
Why were you crying on stage???

I didn't even know I was crying?

Isa 🦋
You look so out of it - I'm going to the next show Mel

I let the messages stay on delivered for a little while whilst I drank my bodyweight in water, "Melody, what was that?" Elliot asked sitting infront of me.

Elliot and Audrey were heads of my record label, they were a relatively new company but had a pretty good history with the likes of Rihanna and Billie Eilish.

"You tell me." I said to him as I closed my eyes, my head hurting.

"A shitshow is what I would say." He replied honestly as he got up without saying another word.

"Elliot.," I paused "What are the pills?"

"Vitamins Mel." He replied as he continued to walk away annoyed, thank god my blood test is tomorrow because my brain is fucking me over.

Luke 🙂
Hey melody? Remember me it's Harry Potter boy. Saw your show online, are you doing okay???

Melody 🎶
Thanks for checking in, was just an off day I think haha x

Luke 🙂
Would be better if I was there, I see

Melody 🎶
imagine me eye rolling at that okay?

Luke 🙂
I'll try and come out for one of the shows I promise x