twenty four

I pulled up the driveway at ten past seven, Maxs' car was already up on the driveway, Charles gulped next to me noticing it instantly.

"You're a pretty good driver, can't believe you went and got your license." Charles remarked standing out of the car and walking around to open my door.

"Only took me four times," I chuckled "You ready to do this because I'm absolutely shitting it."

He grabbed my hand reassuringly as we entered the house, "Isa? Carlos?" I called out into the living room wondering where they were.

Soon I heard voices, they were all sat in the garden around the table, Carlos was putting bowls of crisps on the table as dinner thankfully hadn't started.

"I hope you don't mind but I brought another guest," I referred to Charles as we walked into the back garden "You've all met Charles."

"Uncle Charlie and auntie Mel!!!" Penelope screamed at the top of her lungs as she spotted us.

She ran over to me giving me a huge huge before attaching herself to Charles as she would for majority of the evening, as per usual.

"Oh I didn't know you were coming Charles I would've got way more food." Carlos joked patting him on the shoulder as we both sat down at the table.

Isa was eyeing me confused, "So how was flora doing melody?"

"Great." I smiled lying, she already knew I didn't meet flora rather I met Charles.

Max still hadn't said anything at all, Kelly and him had been calling me everyday checking in on me, making sure I'm safe and doing well but I hadn't seen them in person.

"Melody you look really pretty today." Kelly smiled widely cutting through tension between Charles and max.

"Thank you-

"Do you agree with that Charles, do you think melody looks pretty today? Pretty enough for your standards at least?" Max snarled, elbows on the table that he was leaning into.

"I think she looks effortlessly pretty every day, today she looks beautiful yes." Charles agreed wrapping his arm around my shoulder comfortingly.

"Well apparently she wasn't pretty enough in Mexico-

"Max!" Kelly hissed to stop him from making a fool out of himself, Penelope still running around like a little crazy girl.

Charles swallowed "Mexico was the biggest mistake I have ever made, something I think about all the time. The only time I've ever loved my life was when it was spent with melody, it genuinely was the worst thing I've ever done."

Isa chimed in "Glad you recognise that but how do we all know you won't do that again? I mean I was there when Mel ran out of your house in tears in Jan-

"January? This year?" Max quizzed Isa as she nodded along.

"Yeah- we were in Monaco and melody went to speak to Charles and ran out in tears minutes later, she's never told me why." Isa replied to him.

"Enlighten us then Charles, what did you do?" Max was enjoying the grilling far too much.

He sighed "My girlfriend at the time Charlotte was there and-

Isa cut him off not actually interested in what he had to say "One day melody, you will be someone's favourite thing and you won't even be confused about it. You won't feel like you're fighting for someone who clearly isn't fighting for you."

Max nodded in agreement, Charles took a moment to figure out what to say "Melody is my favourite thing, no matter what idiotic things I do she is always my favourite thing. I have fought for her everyday since Mexico and I will continue to do so because of the amount of love I have for her."