thirty two

October 3rd 2024:

"The wedding is in a week, isn't that crazy. I'm going to be an absolute mess." I laughed as I discussed all things Max and Kelly's wedding with him.

A week today my big brother is getting married.

"I can't believe it either." Charles exclaimed as he put butter on my toast for my breakfast, as I am now six months he refuses to let me do anything.

As we continued to chat the front door bell rang, "I'll get it." Charles mumbled as he put down his fork to grab the door, "No I'm going, I need to do something even if it's open the door."

He rolled his eyes jokingly as I waddled my way over to the door to receive whatever package had been ordered, recently we'd been having loads of parcels.

We'd started doing up the nursery and had lots of orders coming in alongside all of the things we'd been gifted from mother care.

As I grabbed the box from the man I put it down on the coffee table, it was weirdly light, "Do you think that is the crib?" Charles asked as he came closer, the box was relatively small so my answer was no.

Charles went back to the kitchen to bring in our plates as I opened up the box in front of me confused as to what it was, "So what is it?" Charles asked.

Eyes wide I stared down at the item, I was too shocked to pay attention to him, a whimper bursts through my throat as I realised what it is.

Oh no.

"Melody? My love are you okay?" He asked
concerned as my eyes stayed on the item within the box.

Located within the box was a hammer, a single hammer decorated in dried blood. The one that I suspected killed Luke all those months ago had been sent to my doorstep.

"Ch- Charles call the police-

"Mel?" He asked again confused as he was yet to see the hammer himself, he walked closer and immediately lifted me into his arms as he saw it.

My legs circled his waist as he collapses to his knees on the floor, holding me so tightly that I can hardly draw in any breath, total disbelief had me in a chokehold, I'm heaving around the sobs pouring from my throat.

They rack my body so profoundly that my body rattled from the force "I'm here Mel I'm here," he chants quietly "Fuck we need to call the police." His voice breaks as he rocks us both, vibrations rolling through him as he fights to keep it together.

We hadn't heard anything since the post it notes in August, life had been relatively calming since then, we'd attended races together and had really bonded.

He'd even asked me to be his girlfriend, we were at the private beach having a picnic when he finally asked and honestly it was the most beautiful day.

Attached to the bloody hammer was a single note, "Don't forget melody, I'm watching your every move."

Moments later the security guarding the house were notified of the hammer and had taken the evidence to the monaco police for them to investigate for fingerprints, perhaps the killer would finally be caught.

Charles and I remained sat on the floor, too frightened to move "I thought it had ended, when we didn't hear anything in September I thought this person had stopped."

He let out a shaky breathe, trying desperately to disguise his fear "It's okay mel, we're being protected at all times, the security isn't going anywhere."

I sighed "I don't want my baby to grow up in fear that their mummy and daddy are being stalked and sent fucking murder weapons."

He held me closer to his chest, placing his chin on the top of my head rubbing his hand down my arm "I'm sorry my love, I'm really sorry."

But it wasn't his fault, not in the slightest. In fact it was definitely my fault "No I am sorry Charles, genuinely I'm so so sorry I make your life so difficult sometimes."

He shook his head slightly, "I could talk about for hours about your beauty, describe every freckle, every faint line, every inch of your body."

"What?" I asked confused, moving my head from under his chin to look into his eyes.

"You're like the sun, warm and blindingly beautiful, but I'm in love with your determination and your commitment, the way you manage to make me feel like the most loved person in the world." He continued to say staring directly into my eyes.

He held my hand tightly "You could never make my life difficult, you're the only reason my life is worth living. I hate seeing this shit happen to you because you're a good person Mel, a really good person."

My heart.

"You're going to make me cry." I whispered as though if I spoke any louder the moment would be over.

"I love you melody grace verstappen, so much."

"And I love you Charles Marc Herve Perceval Leclerc."

"I'm surprised you remember my full name to be honest, bit of a tongue twister." He chuckled deeply as he pressed a soft kiss to my lips, getting up from the floor that we'd been sat on for hours now.

"This can't be comfortable for you, let's go lie down somewhere, take your mind off of this today." He smiled holding out his hand to help me up from the floor which was becoming increasingly difficult due to the pregnancy.

Don't even get me started when it comes to getting shoes and socks on.

"You're too good a person for me." I mumbled as we walked up the stairs to lie down in bed despite the fact it was two in the afternoon.