Chapter twenty two

“My Prince,” A line of male and female bowed to him as he walked. “It is so nice to see ye again,” they chanted. Edward continued walking on the red path created for him and the five men and four women followed behind him. Before he could get to the end of the carpet, he saw her, dressed in black like she loves the most and looking as beautiful as the goddess herself.
Genevieve smiled and walked up to them, bowing softly to him. “Forgive me for not getting you my Prince, I ran a little late,” she chuckled.
“Genevieve,” Edward smiled, “looking as enchanting as ever.”
Genevieve smiled, “it is an enchanting night my Prince, I have to look my best.”
“You always look your best but I guess tonight is one in a million,” he complimented.
“Thank you but your beautiful face is indeed a sight for sore eyes my prince.” She looked up at him, her hands going up to caress his cheek. “I have missed you,” she whispered, her blood red lips so tempting that Edward allowed it to distract him from his troubling thoughts.
He smiled but didn’t reply her words. When he let his eyes leave her lips, he settled them on her fair and flawless bosom. That reminds him, he hasn’t had a woman in eight hundred years and he knew if it wasn’t how important tonight was, he would have snuck her away and he knew she won’t say no. He could see it right in her eyes that she wants just the same.
“I will take you to your throne,” she said and led the way while he followed with his entourage. Getting to the podium where a nice roll of chairs has been set for the ten High Council chiefs, there was a big red throne sitting right in the middle of the ten chairs. Genevieve and the rest of the chiefs bowed as Edward sat majestically on his throne and he realized that from his spot, he could see every part of the arena.
Genevieve turned to the partying nightwalkers and called for their attention. “It is a marvelous night tonight. It is not every night that we get to see each other nor have such an amazing party together. In a few hours the blood moon would be upon us and those of us that came alone will leave in pairs. But the blood moon is not the only reason we are gathered here tonight. As we know, our father, our maker, our leader and our Prince, the only Original remaining has finally woken up and have come to see us. Some of us know him, some of us have only read about him but he is here now, in our midst, going to supervise us as we find our better halves just like it was done back when we have all our fathers. So you see, the blood moon is not the only joyful thing tonight.” She turned to Edward with a smile, “please address us My Prince, for we have missed you.”
A round of applause sounded as Edward stood up in his majestic glory. When every nightwalker could see him, they all bowed and chanted, “welcome back my Prince, we have missed you.”
Edward knew he should say something but he really has nothing to say. He has never been much of a talker and he never has a speech planned for anything formal right from his human years. He nodded and watched them, they were all waiting to hear him speak to them but after a long silence, all he said was, “I am back my children.” But that seemed to be enough for them as they squealed and rejoiced.
Genevieve went back to giving her speech while he took back his throne. After some minutes, Genevieve sat on the chair on his left and a male nightwalker sat on his right before the rest of the chiefs sat down as well. Edward could sense their strengths and it really was way stronger than the ones partying below them. He knew all of the chiefs but he never associates with anyone that wasn’t his men and Genevieve on the other hand only won his favor because of her beautiful fair face and he could remember how he had thought then that she was his mate.
“It’s two hours before the blood moon would rise, would my Prince love to look around and pass the time?” Genevieve asked.
Edward glanced at her and saw right through her intention immediately but he didn’t mind, he would gladly accept her distraction than worrying over a certain little wolf. “Of course,” he replied and stood up. Besides, he would rather spend time with her than to get into discussion with the rest of the chiefs. The last thing he wants was anyone asking him if he had thought about taking over in leading them. They both excused themselves and she led the way.
***
Aliyah sat by the fountain with a drink in hand, she watched as everyone was having fun and chatting around. The party wasn’t just for the young cubs that would be meeting their mates tonight, it was for everybody meaning that even the mated wolves could attend. She watched as her age mates claim the dance floors with their mates and the young ones all looking up at the moon with expectation.
She glanced up at the moon, in an hour it would turn red, heightening their senses that a wolf could smell his or her mate anywhere within the premises, including in the woods. Never, never has the moon given her such power and she wondered if tonight would be any different. She sipped her drink and sighed, bringing her gaze back to the dancing wolves.
“Interesting night?” a voice asked beside her and she turned to see her mother. She smiled and shrugged and the woman sat beside her. “You look beautiful, I’m sure he would be amazed when he sees you.”
“You say that every year mom,” Aliyah rolled her eyes but with a soft smile.
“This year is different, I can feel it,” Scarlet said.
“That is something you say every year too,” Aliyah chuckled and Scarlet ruffled her hair softly, her hand going down to the black scarf on her neck and Aliyah stiffened.
“You never dress without a scarf these days, is it a trending thing you saw when you went to the human realm that night?”
Aliyah moved away from her touch cautiously. “Yes, I…um I saw it in their club and I love the style.”
“It looks good on you but don’t you think you should leave your neck fair and exposed tonight of all nights?” Scarlet asked, reaching forward to tug on the scarf.
Aliyah shrugged away. “No mom, look around, every she-wolf my age has a mark on her neck, I don’t think I want to broadcast how smooth and fair mine is.”
Scarlet sighed, “I knew that’s why you have been tying on the scarf, not just for some fashion. But Ali, everyone here knows you are alone so you don’t need to hide it. And besides, I don’t see anything wrong with a little delay.”
“You mated with dad on your first mating ceremony mom,” Aliyah pointed out, “this is my fourth,” she showed her four fingers to support her claim, “fourth.”
“Ali, he is out there, I know it and I am sure you do too and I am telling you that something tells me that you would see him tonight.”
“Is it just me or is tonight’s party a little extravagant and the food a little too much?” Aliyah asked to change the subject.
Scarlet chuckled, knowing what she was doing immediately. “Well, it was supposed to be a surprise.”
“For me?”
“No,” Scarlet laughed, “for every young wolf.”
“Okay, now my interest is piqued,” Aliyah said, scooting over to her mom.
Scarlet laughed softly and caressed her deep brown hair, staring at her with love, “your father invited three other packs.”
“What?”
“Yes. The Red Moon Pack, The Fortress pack and the Black Wind pack.”
“Whoa,” Aliyah exclaimed, “really?”
“Yes. It’s the first time we are holding a party with the other packs since you come of age. So now, rather than sneak to their packs at night, you can just meet with them openly and with the blood moon in the sky, you can be able to smell that idiot out.”
Aliyah chuckled, “I thought you said the surprise isn’t for me?”
“Well, it is partly for you and now, speak of the devils or in this case, angels?”
Aliyah glanced up at the group of young wolves that were entering their training ground where the party was held. They divided themselves according to theirs packs and she noticed because they were walking in three groups but she doesn’t know which pack was which.
She kept staring at them until her eyes met with a certain black ones. She stopped and let herself find the owner and it turned out to be a black-haired boy. He smiled softly at her and waved lightly while she avoided his gaze with a shy smile. The night was finally getting interesting, she thought and sensed her wolf roll her eyes.