Chapter forty eight

"Maximus, stop this, it is not going to end well for you. You are lucky that the alpha left you alive after you made such suggestion," A red-haired woman said to the man that was pacing to and fro in the living room.

"All I said was the truth. You do not understand the situation of things here. If High Howlers find out, we are all doomed," Maximus said.

"We will figure it out. You just have to let the sleeping dog lie. Let the alpha find a way to sort it out."

"Whose side are you on, woman?"

"Yours, Maximus." The woman sighed and went to him. "Listen, we may be old and all, but I still don't want to lose my mate, I still don't want to be left alone."

"Alan is so strong-headed. When his father was still around, he was a more matured man to be reasoned it." Maximus complained.

"Oh please, Maximus, Alan is a much stronger alpha than Jonathan. Even Jonathan said so himself and was proud to transfer his powers to him on his deathbed. Listen, Maximus, this is Alan's only child. It's not like you don't know the situation of things. You know how long he and Scarlet waited to have Aliyah and how many more they lost after her, including the one that almost claimed Scarlet's life which was why they stopped trying. You don't expect them to give up the only child the moon goddess blessed their bond with."

"I expect him to be an alpha and follow the alpha code of conduct. He is to protect all not one. Tell me, didn't we lose our sons to protect this pack? Did it break you? Did it break me? Are we not still living? I did that, I accepted the fact because I know the pack must stand. But he, he is ready to throw everything away just because it is his daughter involved. Do you even know what happened last night? Those rogues, they wanted her. There is something wrong with that girl. The rogues wanted her, we lost so many young wolves last night because Alan refused to give her up and now we found out that she is mated to a nightwalker. Do you understand the situation of things?"

Agatha sighed and nodded. "I know what you are saying Maximus and I know that we lost our sons to this pack but they grew up Maximus, they mated and they gave us grand-pups that would continue to carry on our names. Don't forget that we also have daughters who are still very much alive, Maximus. But Alan and Scarlet only have this little girl. Don't forget that mates are not given by us but by the moon goddess. If the moon goddess mated her to the nightwalker then there must be a reason and I say you let nature take its course. I believe that there is a strong reason for this and it is something that you may end up regretting if you go against nature. The moon goddess has never mated a wolf and a vampire before, if she did now, I would love to see what she has in plan than to work against it."

Maximus sighed and moved away from her touch. "I think old age is getting the best of you woman. I am the oldest wolf in this pack and I am telling you that this union is an abomination and would bring nothing but trouble if it is not eliminated now. Think about this, what do you think their pup would be, a nightwalker or a night howler or a mixture of both? It would be a beast, a monster. I am just thinking about the future pups that would live their lives in misery because of the sins of their parents."

"Maximus..." Agatha sighed.

"No woman, you have said enough. I am going to Alan now to talk some sense into him. When he took that oath in front of everyone, he had sworn to put the matters of the pack first before his. I am going to remind him of his very oath and he better listen or so help me..." he paused and sighed, glancing at his mate one more time, he stormed out of the room.

***

"So much for keeping it secret huh," Steven asked as he walked up to the boy training in the training ground.

"I have no choice," Sean replied, wiping off the sweat on his face. "Besides, everyone already knows about it."

"Yeah sure," Steven nodded, walking over to the spear rack to pick a spear. "I have always known the secret won't be a secret for long but I never thought it would be out this quick, at least, not while I am still here."

Sean shrugged but said nothing. He attacked the dummy in front of him again, striking it down after a few strikes. "What do you think would happen now?"

"I don't know. But I do know that you are not as mad as you were the first day you found out," Steven said, picking up the dummy and throwing aside. "What happened?"

Sean exhaled and licked his lips. "You saw him last night right?"

Steven smiled. "Damn," he shook his head. "If I can fight like that..."

"Yeah and without him, we would all be pretty dead because not even our so called Elders could take on the Nebuzars."

"But what do you think is going on? Why do the rogues want Aliyah?"

"I don't know. But what I do know is that only one person can help us to find out."

"The nightwalker."

"Exactly. No matter the form the rogues take or any helping hand they get, he is always able to take them on. I think something is coming," Sean said.

"The great war? Yeah I know. Once every wolf pack knows about this union and the nightwalkers know about it as well, it's going to be one hell of a fight."

"No," Sean shook his head, "something greater than the great war."

"What are you talking about?" Steven asked.

"Think about it. You are an alpha and you went to the alpha training, you know all the things that are said about the vampire prince, and the fact that everyone thought he was dead and he just showed up and not just that, he is mated to a night howler, his number one enemy. I think something is coming, something that neither the nightwalkers nor the night howlers can handle alone. So to bring peace, the moon goddess chose the easiest way possible, mating an Original with the daughter of an alpha, two great powers combined and which would definitely bring peace between the two nations. I think that to win whatever that is coming, we need to be unified."

Steven sighed after digesting everything he said. "You know, you may be right but do you know what else I know? That peace you speak of will never come without a fight. The nightwalker and the night howlers have been enemies for over two millenniums, even if there is going to peace, it is going to be after a great fight, which is the great war where by thousands will die and only few would be alive to witness the so called peace. Come on Sean, you don't really think either side is going to back down because one of them is mated to the other?"

Sean shrugged. "The Dark Prince is a vampire Original, I assume he can bend his people to his will and cease the fight."

"Then our people? Aliyah is just the daughter of an alpha, not the daughter of a High Howler, it is two different things."

"Every Alpha is the descendant of the High Howlers which are the pure blood of the first and second generation of Night howlers and also why they are the only ones that can control the true alpha powers, so, Aliyah is in a way the daughter of a High Howler, just like you."

Steven sighed. "I understand you Sean, but I still insist on my theory that to get that, there is going to be a great fight. Now, how about we finish that spar?" he raised his spear and grinned.

Sean rolled his eyes and cracked his neck. "Asking for a beating right?"

"Ha ha, nice try," Steven said but right before he could charge, he saw someone running towards them and stopped when he noticed it was his Beta. "What is it?"

"Is Gerald," Tom announced, panting from his run. "He spoke," he smiled, "And he is asking for you."

"Finally," Steven said in relief and turned to Sean, "guess we will have to postpone again."

"Sure, go do your thing," he nodded but then they heard a big commotion and glanced at each other in shock. "What the hell could that be?"

"I don't know. Let's go check it out," Steven said and they threw their spears at the rack and ran out of the training ground. They saw someone running towards them and stopped when they caught up.

"Sean, it's the Alpha, he is fighting with Elder Maximus," the young warrior announced.

"Fuck," Sean shouted and started running to the alpha's mansion. Steven and the rest followed behind, all wondering what could have happened.