Chapter Seventy three

“Genevieve, my dear, what happened to you?” A woman asked the angry lady that climbed out of the car. “Dennis has been waiting for you, what happened to your face?”
Genevieve ignored her mother as she stormed into the house. The scene of Edward cuddling and caressing the night howler clouding her mind. “You are back,” a voice said and she momentarily glanced at the man that stood up to welcome her. “I have been waiting for you,” he said. Ignoring him, Genevieve went to the stairs, climbing it and only stopped when Dennis grabbed her wrist. “Genevieve, I think its time we talk about us. You have been ignoring me for so long and now I want to know my stand with you.”
“It seems you have lost your respect. I am your council chief and you dare call me by my name?” Genevieve asked.
“Genevieve,” Martha called with a tone of disapproval. “There is no title or rank between mates. Dennis is your mate and you need to start giving him his respect as your man. I don’t care if you are older than him, it’s his right.”
Ignoring the woman, Genevieve’s fingers wrapped around Dennis’s neck so tightly that the man’s eyes popped in shock. “I am older and I am stronger, you were bred by two human parents that were turned nightwalkers, how can you be my mate? I am considered a very strong woman, how can I have a mate as weak as you?”
“Genevieve!” Martha yelled, her eyes flashing red as she challenged her daughter, freeing the innocent man immediately. Having been turned by an Original, her strength was almost on par with the second generation as the mates of the originals are considered similar to originals and are highly respected as well. “What have gotten over you? Yes, Dennis is the fourth generation but that doesn’t change the fact that he is your Mate!”
“He can never be my mate. I will never accept him as my mate. I deserve a strong man, a man worthy enough to be seen with me, not some riffraff. And to think that that little weak thing has to climb into his bed, ugh,” she groaned, her eyes shining blood red as her fangs elongated. “How dare she?”
Martha frowned, calming down when she realized that her daughter was angry over something else. “She? Has the prince found his mate?”
“Mate?” Genevieve laughed sarcastically, “how can that little thing be worthy to be his mate? Ha, in her dreams. I am going over to the council hall, I have to speak with the fellow chiefs. The howlers have broken the treaty, something has to be done about that.”
“I don’t understand, what are you talking about? What is going on and what happened to your face?” Martha asked.
Genevieve exhaled to calm down, “don’t worry about my face, it would be healed before the night is over but just know that the howlers has asked for war. Not only did they send their rogues to attack us, they actually sent their female to seduce our prince and we are definitely not going to take that lying down.”
“What?” Martha and Dennis shared a look but before they could ask any more question, Genevieve was gone.
***
“This is outrageous,” Argon shouted after hearing what Alan said and that was not different from what Maximus had told them yesterday. “We definitely can’t take this. He is the prince and he is the one that wrote the rules yet he let himself break it?”
“But, Elder Argon,” Alan said, “the moon goddess brought them together.”
“Don’t tell me that you are starting to accept that union,” Damien asked immediately. “The two clans have exited for over two thousand years, why should the moon goddess only start mating us now?”
“There is a first time for everything my Lord,” Alan said, “I don’t think we should go into war blindly. Let’s not forget, not only do they have high chiefs, Prince Edward is an original. Even our ancestors couldn’t hurt him, how can we, the mere generations that came after them be able to do anything?”
“Nonsense,” Argon shouted. “Alpha,” he turned to Damien. “Prince Edward is an original, no doubt, but if we really accept this union, then we should better get ready to accept the nightwalkers ruling over us. Think about it, Prince Edward has wanted dominance over us from the very beginning, it was what started the war. The man has been asleep for eight hundred years, what if this is the plan he had decided on, to take one of us and force her to be his mate while he rule over us by marriage. I say we stop this now that we can. They say they are mates, how sure are we? Don’t forget, he is an original and the original’s compelling can work on anyone, including us.”
“That is true, what if your daughter is under the nightwalker’s spell?” A howler said and the Blue moon pack elders sighed. They have asked Alan the same question after finding out what truly happened to Gerald.
“That is an important fact to consider,” Damien said. “Maximus, didn’t you talk about something of similar nature? An alpha’s son that was compelled or something like that?”
“Yes, Alpha,” Maximus nodded. “It happened to Gerald, second son to the Alpha Ethan of Black wind Pack. His future alpha had been staying here with us to look after him, I am sure they are still in their room as we speak.”
“Unfortunately, that is not true,” Aton said, bringing everyone’s attention on him. “Steven left yesterday with his brother, they are no longer here.”
“I see,” Damien said, nodding. “Do you deny this fact of the young boy being compelled by the vampire prince, Alan?”
Alan shook his head, “no, Alpha Damien, my daughter confirmed it to me right before she was taken away.”
“So tell me, how do you know if your daughter is not being controlled by the vampire prince? We all read the books left for us by our ancestors and we can say that we all know his personality. He is the kind of man that would do anything to get what he wants and he has always longed to control us, what makes you think he is not using your daughter to get you to soften and then cause a repel among us just for him to step in and pick up the broken pieces of what is left of your pack and then use it against us?”
Alan sighed and shook his head. “I do not think so, Alpha. If it’s as you said it is, why did he have to save us from the Nebuzars? I am sure that Elder Maximus told you how all these started. If you ask me, I think the best thing we should worry about now is why the rogues are going deranged and who could possibly be using them. The vampire prince doesn’t prove a threat if he risked his life to save us.”
Argon laughed. “Risked his life? You want to believe that fighting twenty Nebuzars means the vampire prince risked his life? The man can fight hundreds of those demons and still come out unscathed. Who is to say he was not the one that sent the Nebuzars after you in the first place and then swing in to save the day just to buy your trust? Alpha,” he turned to Damien, “it is obvious that Alpha Alan has lost his purpose as an alpha while trying to save one. An alpha always protect but he is willing to believe that our life long enemy is a friend just so he could save his daughter and therefore, put the rest of our kind in harm’s way.”
“That is not true,” Alan defended.
“It is true,” Argon insisted. “If not then why didn’t you bring this news to us and also, when you saw that Maximus would tell us, you put a tail on him to stop him from doing anything, using your alpha command to force him into submission. If that is not an act of treason then I wonder what is.”
“Maximus defiled his alpha and not just that, he killed the innocent warriors of our pack, are you not seeing anything wrong with his decision? This only means that to get what he wants, he can kill an entire pack for it,” Aton said.
“Shut up Beta, you are just as rotten as your alpha,” Argon said.
“Enough!” Damien raised his hand to stop the exchange of words. Sighing, he glanced at the faces of the men in the room. “We will send news to the High Council chiefs, let them know of what their prince is up to and ask them to bring back our daughter. Failure to compromise means that they really do want the war and that only means that we will give them what they want.”
“What about the Rogues, alpha, are we going to ignore what is happening to them?” Alan asked.
“The rogues are the outcasts of our kind, there is a reason they don’t have an alpha and that means that whatever that happens to them, has no business with us,” Damien replied.
“They are attacking, Alpha, our young cubs are in danger if we let this slide,” Alan said.
“Then you protect your young ones. The rogues are and will remain the outcasts, nothing will change that. Our concern is and will only be the issue with the nightwalkers. If you have problem with that, Alan, then I think now is the time for you to figure out which side you are on.”