Chapter eighty six

A low growl sounded and every alpha wolf that were perched on Edward were thrown miles away from him. His eyes burned red as his fangs elongated. He glared at the High Howlers who were getting ready to transform and he charged at Damien. However, a force hit him from behind and he was thrown ten steps back. He hit the brakes on the ground, digging up sand with a loud screech. He glanced up and saw Malachi, knowing he must have been the one that hit him now. He hissed, flashing his fangs at him and Malachi did the same, his eyes turning red as he attacked again.
Being faster, Edward easily averted the attack but he grabbed onto Malachi’s collar and pulled him back before he ran past him. He delivered a heavy blow on him, causing the man’s head to tilt back and he heard the bone shifting. He flung him up, jumping up to meet him midair and delivering a powerful kick on his stomach, sending the man down with such force that a deep hole was created on the ground where he landed.
A high chief jumped, perching on Edward’s back and sinking his fangs on his neck. Edward grunted in pain and used his claws on the man, sinking them deep on his forehead. Another high chief jumped, joining them on the air and biting onto Edward’s leg. Edward swayed his leg, flinging the man away but he landed on a treetop and jumping back at him, grabbing him onto the leg again. Another chief jumped, a woman, wrapping her legs on his neck as she wanted to pull his head out.
Edward groaned and using his claws that was on the man’s forehead that was biting on his neck, he pulled the man to his front and he heard flesh being torn as the man’s fangs cut out his flesh. He didn’t care about the wound or the blood that was soaking his coat as he buried his own fangs on the man’s neck and yanked. But rather than yanking a pound of flesh, he yanked the man’s head as well and he dropped the headless body on the ground before he spat out the head. He impaled his claws on the neck of the chief on his leg and yanking, he slit the man in halves, the two equal parts falling down and slamming on the ground.
Malachi winced as he watched the fight going on in the air, he can’t believe they have already lost two high chiefs when the fight has only just started. “He is too strong. I can’t believe with all those wounds he hasn’t weakened a tidbit,” Damien said beside him.
Malachi scoffed, “and he just using his nightwalker’s strength. Imagine what would become of us when he starts using his demon powers.”
Damien heard the fear in the man’s voice and he could feel the one growing in his chest. “Should we retreat?”
“Its too late, he would never let us go. Besides, we stand a chance now attacking together than letting him pick us out one after the other when we start running.”
“Malachi, he has healed,” Damien shouted, seeing that the ghastly wound the death chief had left on Edward’s neck has already healed completely.
“When we say that he is an original, that is what we mean,” Malachi said and gasped when he saw the female chief falling down with her limps detached. He closed his eyes when she hit the ground, that is the third high chief they are losing. He glanced up at the man still hanging in the air and their eyes met. He heard his heart miss a beat meeting those red eyes.
“I sure hope your son can be trusted,” Damien whispered, seeing Edward flying down at them. However, Malachi ignored him as he charged with the other High Howlers that have already transformed. The alpha wolves jumped out from the woods, finally recovered from Edward’s earlier blow on them and they joined in the fight, hoping to hold him down all at once again.
***
“It’s happening,” Melissa said to the man sitting on the throne. “The high chiefs and high howlers are attacking.”
“Very good, that means the wolf is alone in the castle.”
“Very much so,” Melissa answered.
The man smiled sarcastically, “very good, release the rogues.”
“Yes my lord,” Melissa bowed and disappeared from the room.
The man smiled and his yellow eyes glowed, “at first, I only wanted your blood to give me the power of the werewolves. But, why would should I want only the wolf’s blood when I can get a nightwalker's as well? Your little fetus will do greatly and after that, I will eradicate your kinds, ridding this world off your very existence. You all were an abomination from the very beginning and now, watch me restore this world to what it once was and take my place as the strongest demon alive,” he chuckled sinisterly.
***
“What do you mean by it’s tonight? What is happening tonight?” Aliyah asked, shaking Irene to bring her back to herself.
“The fight is tonight,” Irene replied in the same voice, her eyes ashen and her body ice cold.
“The fight?” Aliyah let her go, her hand reaching up to cover her mouth as her eyes welled up in tears. “Then that means that Rasmus…oh God,” she gasped, turning sharply and running to the door.
“Where do you think you are going?” Irene asked, her voice finally returning back to normal.
“I have to warn Edward,” She answered, opening the door.
“Warn him? The fight has already started. You going there is only going to distract him because he would be thinking about how to protect you.”
“No, you don’t understand. I have to see Edward,” Aliyah said, running into the hallway.
“Aliyah, don’t do this,” Irene called, running after her. “You are only going to distract him and nothing more. Trust in him and let him focus on what he is doing.”
Aliyah stopped then to look at her. “You knew that the fight was today just by staring at the sky. Tell me Irene, did you have a vision about today?”
Irene closed her eyes and Aliyah gasped, feeling betrayed. “It had no clear fate,” Irene explained. “It kept changing every single time. The only thing that remains every single time is the blackened sky and the roars of the thunder.”
“What do you mean?”
“My vision never showed me who survived or didn’t. All I know is that I see the fight, the bloodied ground with dead bodies and sometimes, Edward’s body would be among and sometimes it wouldn’t. I have never been able to see if he survived or not.”
“Oh my God,” Aliyah whispered as she slumped on the floor, her hands covering her mouth as the tears trailed down her cheeks. Irene squatted beside her to comfort her and suddenly, they heard the front door being slammed open. They shared a look and stood up, rushing out to see who it was. “Sean,” Aliyah screamed on seeing the boy and in the next second, she was in his arms, sobbing. “Sean, Edward…”
“I know,” Sean said, hugging her tightly. “I actually came here to warn you guys but I guess my fight with Steven delayed me.”
“Steven, didn’t you tell me you are friends?” she let him go to look in his eyes.
“We are still friends, I suppose. I mean, he spared my life. High alpha told him to guard me and prevent me from leaving the pack. We engaged in a fight and… I lost,” he shrugged. “But I’m here, so, we are still friends.”
Aliyah nodded and hugged him again. “What can we do Sean, how can we save him?”
“We can’t save him, Aliyah. He is capable of doing that himself. The most important thing now is to get you to safety.”
“What, what do you mean? I’m safe here.”
“Yes she is,” Irene answered but Sean was shaking his head before she could speak further.
“You are not safe here,” he said, “the rogues, I saw them and it’s clear their direction is here. We must you get you out of here Aliyah. Where is Rasmus, together we stand a chance.”
Aliyah sobbed again then. “Sean, I think Rasmus has switched sides.”
“You don’t know that,” Irene said.
“I know what I am saying Irene, I saw the look he gave me and my guts is telling me that he lured Edward out.”
“Oh God,” Sean said. “If that’s the case, then we can’t fight. We must leave, immediately.”
“But, where would we go?” Irene asked.
“Anywhere but here, the rogues are coming and we all know who they want. Come on, Aliyah, you have to survive, for Edward, he would want that.”
Aliyah nodded, tucking tendrils of hair behind her ears and sniffling. “You are right, we have to go.”
“Good, you will need to transform. I will carry Irene so that we can run faster.” The women nodded and they didn’t bother to grab anything from the house as they left the house, shape shifting into wolves outside and Irene climbed onto Sean’s back. Sean ran first, leading them out of the rogues’ direction.
They have only ran for ten minutes when they heard heart wrenching scream and a wolf body fell in front of them. They halted immediately, panting heavily as they glanced around. They didn’t need to check to know that it was an alpha wolf and that it was dead already. The two wolves shared a look knowingly and despite knowing what was happening, they couldn’t run away without checking to know what was happening.
They approached the little meadow, still in the wolf form in case they have to run immediately. “I don’t think we should be here,” Irene said from Sean’s back but Aliyah was already moving forward to get a better look.
Edward was standing in the middle of the meadow, there were bodies surrounding him and he was drenched in blood. There were wounded wolves hiding away from him and only five high chiefs were standing and they were still attacking endlessly. Edward ripped the head of a high howler, throwing it at a wolf running towards him before he sprinted to it and picked it up by the tail, swirling around in circle and letting the wolf fly away from him.
‘Aliyah, he is doing good, we have to go,’ Sean said in the mind link.
Aliyah watched Edward, tears welling up in her eyes. He hasn’t noticed her presence because he was fighting, fighting to stay alive so that he can come back to her. How would he know where they are now since she doesn’t even where they are going?
‘Aliyah, the rogues are coming, they are almost on us, can’t you hear them?’ Sean said frantically. ‘Come on Aliyah, we have to leave.’
“Aliyah, I think we should go now,” Irene said, sensing the approaching rogues already. However, Aliyah wasn’t moving, her eyes were locked on the man fighting and killing like a god. “Aliyah,” Irene called again. Unfortunately, she had called for her a little louder and Genevieve had heard her.
“Damn wolf,” Genevieve shrieked as she spotted them. Abandoning her fight with Edward, she started sprinting towards them but her words had caught Edward’s attention.
He turned then and the first thing he saw was the snow-white wolf and the tears in her eyes. He caught a sight of Genevieve running towards them. “No,” he said, dropping the wolf he was holding and running after her. He caught up to her soon enough, slamming into her and pushing her away with the force. He turned when he sensed someone behind him but as soon as he turned, he felt a sharp pierce on his chest. He glanced down and the first thing he saw was a wooden arrow with pale fingers wrapped around it as the blood from his chest tickled on the wood and dropped on the ground.
Time stopped; everyone froze, every sound and the only thing he could hear was the scream from his mate. He found himself wondering when she had shifted into human, however, when he looked up at the owner of the hand, his face whitened and the pain in his heart from betrayal was more painful than the stab in his chest. “I’m sorry, my prince,” the owner of the hand said.