Chapter twenty five

Aliyah didn’t think, didn’t talk and didn’t react. She just sat, staring at the man with her bright blue eyes. Edward waited for a reaction or an emotion from the little wolf but when nothing happened, he feared a little that he may have broken her with his revelation. He reached out and snapped his fingers twice in front of her face and watched as light finally returned to her eyes. She started panting and soon, she was hyperventilating. “What is it now?” Edward asked, slightly annoyed and slightly worried, and he hated the fact that he was worried.
“That’s not true,” Aliyah finally found her voice.
“What is not true?”
“You can’t be an Original.”
Edward raised an eyebrow, “oh really?”
“Yes, every Original is dead, everyone knows that.”
Edward smiled but there was something about his smile that made every hair on Aliyah’s neck to stand. “A little lost on history, little wolf?”
“No, it’s not possible. All five originals are dead,” she insisted, “they are dead, we all know that. You are just a very strong vampire and you want to scare me by making this baseless claim. You think because I am a werewolf that I won’t know a little of the Nightwalkers history?” she started laughing, “it’s impossible, you are lying.” She laughed some more, “I’m not a dumb wolf, I know the history of the nightwalkers so stop pretending to be who you are not.”
Edward watched her laughing like a maniac. A part of him wanted to be offended that she was calling him a liar but a large part of him was mostly worried that he may have broken her because she was laughing like a mad woman, a mad a little wolf. He reached up and felt her forehead with his palms, “I think you are down with fever. Is my identity that strong that it made you sick all of a sudden?”
Aliyah replied by shifting her hand into paw mid air and clawing his face. She watched as the claw wounds filled up in a nanosecond and her laughter died off slowly as she stared at his shocked midnight blue eyes.
Edward was mostly stunned at the sudden attack and he realized that he was letting his guard down a lot in her presence. She would have killed him if she had wanted to right now and he wouldn’t have been aware. How couldn’t he have sensed the sneak attack? He stared at her paw and his gaze went back to her eyes. “Why did you do that?”
“Nightwalkers never healed that fast from our claw wounds,” she stated rather than answered.
“Haven’t you figured that out already the other night in the human woods?” he asked, slightly annoyed, not at her but at himself for letting his guard loose.
Aliyah knew the night he was talking about but she had wanted to believe that she was in pain that night and had imagined his wounds healed in a second but right now, she couldn’t believe what she just witnessed. “How is that possible?” she reached up, her paw shifting back into her human hand and she caressed his flawless cheek. There wasn’t even a single scar and his face was as smooth as that of a child. “How possible?” she whispered this time, leaning closer to inspect his face, every tiny detail.
Edward had wanted to reply angrily but when her fingers touched his face, the softness of them made him forget what he wanted to say and he couldn’t ignore how his body reacted to her touch. He furrowed his brows, not even Genevieve’s touch melted him that easily nor turned him on that quickly. He was still wondering what was happening when she leaned closer, bringing her face closer to his and her scent wafted into his nostrils. He stared at her fair face under his lashes and only realized then that she was paler than most werewolves he had seen. Her skin was almost as white like his and only nightwalkers have such paled skin. His eyes went to her lips and for a brief moment he wondered what it would be like to kiss them.
“There is not a single scratch,” Aliyah whispered as she continued inspecting his face, calling him out of his really unwanted thoughts and completely unaware of what her touch or close proximity was doing to the man in front of her. “This is impossible, how could it be?”
Edward was suddenly a feet aware from her and she looked up in shock at how fast it all happened. Now completely at a safe distance, he cleared his throat. “There is only one answer to your question, I am an Original and your damned claws wouldn’t as much as hurt me.” His voice did not come out as strong as he had hoped. It had come a little husky and wavering. He frowned, how could she affect him so badly and with just a touch? Is she drugged again? But she is not in the human realm and she definitely doesn’t smell like she did that night, so what was going on?
Aliyah watched him, she stated putting bits and bits together. His ancient English accent, she had always known there was something different about the way he talked but never really thought much about it. Nightwalkers lived longer than they do and she mainly thought that he may be a hundred or two hundred years old nightwalker but an Original? She thought of the night he was on a killing rampage in her pack, the smoky figure he had taken. No nightwalker could have done that, nor kill their warrior wolves as easily as he did. Then again she remembered the fight with the Nebuzar, not just him but even Mr. Tyler had confirmed that the creature was a thousand years old and from what she had studied about the creature these past days, not even a five hundred years old Nightwalker could kill a thousand years old Nebuzar. The creature was on the second table of most feared demons but he had killed it in less than two minutes.
She thought of the way he act, the way his speak, the mannerism in which he carries himself and the way he often bragged about killing everyone and no one being a match to him. She remembered her instant fear of him the first time she had seen him, how just being close to him made her so afraid. She watched him, she took note of his handsome face and now dressed in a historic outfit, she couldn’t bring herself to doubt him for he looked like he really belonged in that era. Could she really be mated to a nightwalker Original? Ha, in your face, Natasha.
However, before she could gloat on being mated to a strong one, the reality of everything hit her. He is a nightwalker and she is a night howler, they are nemesis and they definitely don’t get along and not forget how he truly wants to kill her and never hesitated to tell her just how much he wants to. She was no match for him, hell, not even her father was a match for him. An Original, a vampire Original, how could she ever be a match to a vampire Original? Aliyah knew then that the moon goddess must really hate her, otherwise, why would she destine her to die by the hands of her own mate?
She stood up then, willing herself not to think of anything again. There was no way it could ever work between them, she hates him, —well, she thinks she hates him— but he definitely hates her, he most certainly would kill her when he so wishes. How many times had she been in near deaths in his hands? The mark on her neck is one example, the stinging pain in her neck is another example for tonight. Who knows if she would survive the next time?
She watched him and he watched her. She wondered if he knew about what she was thinking about but she prayed against it and wished he wasn’t. Besides, he wasn’t showing any reaction and was just watching her. She made the calculation, there was no guarantee that she could escape him tonight but she still has to try. God, she is mated and to a vampire Original? The whole thing was still taking a toll on her and she wondered how she was going to tell her dad about it. She started by taking a step back, he didn’t move and she took another one and another one and another and then she turned and started running back as fast as her legs could carry her.
Edward was shocked seeing her run. He had been trying to make out the meaning of her emotions. At some point it had felt like she was happy being mated to him and the next minute she was afraid and now she was running? He means, what made her think she could ever outrun him in this lifetime?
He sighed while shaking his head and he contemplated whether going after her or just going home to digest everything that happened tonight but seeing how fast she was running with the hope of getting away from him, he couldn’t miss in the fun and he immediately gave a hot pursuit, the feeling giving him a déjà vu of the night he first met her. In the blink of any eye, he was blocking her and smiling mockingly at her. “Do you think you can ever outrun me, little wolf?”