Chapter thirty eight

Edward wasn’t as surprised as he should be, he sighed and shook his head. “I should have known, you already know.”
Irene smiled, “I told you the last time Edward that you were searching for your mate in the wrong places, if I had told you that she would be the one being you hate the most, you would have thought I have gone coo-coo right?” she chuckled and went to her table to pour him a cup of something liquid and handed it to him, “I have been expecting you, Edward.”
Edward took the glass and the smell of a rabbit wafted into his nostrils. He didn’t really like rabbit blood but he would settle for it when he has nothing else. He took a sip and sighed, he has been tasty since the blood moon night but never have the chance to go to the human realm. He sighed, now the damned wolf is making him worried that he has even forgotten to feed himself. He placed the cup on his lips, downing the whole liquid in a second. He smacked his lips, wanting more, after all, how can one rabbit blood satisfy his thirst?
“You should go feed, Edward,” Irene suggested, seeing the man’s red eyes.
“Something is going on,” Edward replied.
“Something big is coming,” Irene said, taking the cup from him and placing it on the table.
Edward frowned, “the Great war?”
Irene shrugged, “that and something bigger.”
Edward’s frown deepened, “what?”
“I can’t really say, anytime I have a vision of him, all I see is black. I don’t know what he is or who he is. All I can say is that he is orchestrating a bad plan, an evil plan and he is using the night howlers.”
Edward didn’t need to be told who she was talking about. “I saw him yesterday.”
“Did you see his face?”
“No,” he shook his head, “he was covered in black.”
Irene sighed, “just like in my visions.”
“There is something about him. When I was close to him, I smelt magic. Is there a stray in your coven?”
Irene rolled her eyes, “you are talking like you just knew me yesterday. I don’t do covens Edward; you know that, at least not anymore.”
“But he must be one of you, otherwise, how could he be able to control the rogues and also make their dead bodies disappear?”
Irene exhaled and turned to him. “Edward, nearly nine hundred years ago, you spared a young witch’s life despite being very thirsty and you helped her and kill her pursers. You took her with you to your castle and mended her wounded body with your blood, taking care of her and making sure she was alright. She swore with her life to always be there when you need her Edward, and nothing is going to make me go back on that vow.”
Edward sighed and tucked her hair behind her ear. “I know Irene, so please understand my question, I am not insinuating that you are hiding something from me, I am never going to suspect you, you are the only person I trust in this world.”
Irene smiled and leaned into his warmth. She sighed and nodded, “I will try and go by the covens, see if there is something I can find out.”
“Be careful,” he said.
“Oh come on Edward, I am not that little naïve fifteen years old girl anymore.”
“Of course you are not,” he smiled and sighed. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to look after you.”
“It’s okay, you were there and you helped me find my powers, I can never be grateful enough for that,” she smiled and then grinned. “But if you really want to apologize, blame yourself. I told you not to go after the demon princess,” she rolled her eyes.
Edward smiled and shrugged, “you know me, I like going where I am not supposed to.”
Irene rolled her eyes, however, she stilled like a statue, her eyes turning ashen immediately and Edward immediately grabbed her. Squatting down, he cradled her in his arms. He waited till her phase was over and her eyes returned back to normal. “What did you see?”
“Nebuzars,” she whispered. “Nebuzars, Edward and they were attacking.”
“Attacking who?”
“The night howlers,” she answered and Edward felt his heart stop and restarted. “Blue Moon pack,” she added.
‘I knew there was something fishy about the Blue Moon pack Alpha’s daughter; I just didn’t think it would be something this big,’ Edward remembered the young wolf’s comment yesterday. Does that mean Aliyah is from the Blue Moon pack?
“Edward, I saw a girl,” Irene said, calling him out of his thought. “She is quite young, around age nineteen, they want her,” her eyes widened in shock then, “she bears a blood red rose mark on her neck. She is your Mate, isn’t she?”
“What else did you see?” he asked, not wanting to pay attention to the fear trying to consume him.
“There are bloods everywhere,” she winced and placed her hand on her temple. “A lot of howlers would die and more would if they don’t give her to him. He wants her, Edward, the man in black, he wants her and I don’t know why.”
Edward sighed and stood up with her, he led her to the sofa and sat her down. “When is this attack?”
Irene looked up at him, “tonight.”
“Shit.”
“Edward,” Irene grabbed his hand, “I saw something else.”
“What is it?”
“You,” she said, “I saw you hurt.”
“That is not possible Irene, I heal faster than any being in this world.”
“True but none of the night howlers can challenge the Nebuzars, you took them all and they are strong, they are very strong Edward.”
“No matter how strong…” he was saying and he paused, he could feel his breathing increasing as an added fear joined with his own. “When is the fight happening tonight?”
“It’s already happening.”
“Irene!” Edward shouted.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t know, I just saw it,” she pleaded. “I don’t always get the night howlers vision on time, you know that.”
Edward closed his eyes to calm himself, he sucked a deep breath and exhaled. He turned then to leave but a hand on his wrist stopped him. He turned to Irene with a raised eyebrow.
“I saw you hurt,” she repeated.
“I won’t be,” he said and he could feel the fear growing stronger in him. “I have to go.”
“Edward, you are thirsty, please feed first.”
“There is no time.”
“No, we both know you get weak when thirsty and I saw the way you drank that blood I offered you earlier. Feed first, please.”
“It’s just a bunch of Nebuzars, I will be done with them soon and also, I can feed on them.”
“No!” She shouted, “don’t, they are not themselves, you will be infected if you feed on their bloods. Please, run to the human realm and feed your thirst.”
Edward remembered what happened with the rogues and he sighed, however, just then, he felt a sharp pain to the head and winced. “I have to go.”
“Feed first, Edward.”
“There is no time.”
“I saw you hurt.”
“There is no time!” he yelled, his eyes blazing red and his fangs elongated. “There is no time.”
Irene sighed. “You keep calling her damned little wolf but you have already started caring for her to this extent.”
Edward breathed heavily but he didn’t say anything. He turned and stormed out of the house. Rasmus came up to him then and he yelled at him, “Go home, Rasmus,” and vanished in the woods.
Irene sighed, “please, be careful,” she whispered and Rasmus glanced at her and then at the woods where Edward vanished and he was torn between obeying his order and following him. Something tells him something was not right, he could feel it in the way he ran but he also know that Edward would be really angry with him if he should disobey his order and so he sighed and with one last glance at the beautiful witch, he ran into the woods, straight to the palace.