Chapter thirty five

Edward stood up, the hooded man flashing in his mind. He knew there was something about the man but his scent was making it hard for me to tell what he really is. He can’t just name it because the man’s scent is disorienting.
“So that’s how all the other bodies disappeared?” he heard behind him and turned to the young boys communicating.
“The other ones?” he asked, bringing their attention to him.
Sean nodded, “yes. On blood moon night we were attacked by a lot of rogues that looked like them but they were younger, about our age. But this morning, when we finally decided to clear the bodies, we noticed they were missing. The only difference is that these ones disappeared faster than the other ones.” Sean frowned when he was done, wondering why he was explaining to the man.
“I see,” Edward nodded, “so he practices black magic.”
“What?” Sean turned to him sharply, “who practices black magic?”
Edward ignored him and turned to Aliyah, his gaze lingered on her for too long that Sean growled and stepped in between them, blocking his view of her. Edward looked at him, “step aside.”
“Forget that we share the same interest, I am not letting you get close to her,” Sean said.
“Sean,” Aliyah linked her hands with his, making him look at her and she ignored the obvious jealous man. He kept talking about how he would kill her but yet he doesn’t like her getting close to other men, how ironic. “There is something you have to know.”
“Which is? Because seriously, Aliyah, when we get back home, you are telling me how you get to know a nightwalker.” He replied to her, ‘a strong one at that,’ he added in the mind link, his eyes flitting over to the man.
Aliyah sighed and her eyes went to Steven who raised an eyebrow at her with a smirk. She sighed and licked her lips, “Sean, on the blood moon night…” she paused and looked up at him, “I found my mate.”
Sean’s eyes widened in shock and he almost smiled as he wanted to congratulate her but then he put two and two together immediately and his face turned horrific. “You…” he pointed to Edward who just stood with his hand crossed on his chest as he watched them. “You can’t be serious, him?” Sean almost shouted.
Aliyah shrugged, “the truth is, I am, he is my mate.”
“Aliyah, he is a nightwalker!” Sean finally screamed as he grabbed her on her shoulders to wake her up. “Wake up, you are a werewolf, you can’t and will never be mated to a vampire.”
“But I am,” she said and freed herself from his clutches and tugged at her scarf, revealing the blood red rose that was sitting comfortably on her neck like it belonged there. “He already marked me, it’s why I have been using the scarf.”
A whistling distracted them a little before Steven said, “I knew you were hiding something.”
Sean shook his head. “Aliyah, what are you saying? The blood moon was just two nights ago, you have been using the scarf since…” he paused as his eyes widened before he turned sharply to Edward. “It was him,” he whispered, “it was him,” he repeated a little louder now. “That night that you were being punished, he was the one. Fuck, I knew just now that his voice sounded familiar.”
“Sean,” Aliyah called to him, “he marked me that night while trying to kill me.”
“What?” Steven asked, his eyes going to Edward and then to Aliyah and back to Edward. “Whoa.”
“Yes,” Aliyah nodded, “and then on blood moon night, we found out we are mate hence why his bite turned into a mark. Sean, I didn’t tell you all this time because…”
“You met him the day you went to the human realm, right?” Sean interrupted. Aliyah sighed and nodded and Sean shook his head with his eyes closed. “So long ago Aliyah and you never bothered to tell me?”
“Sean, I didn’t know how…”
“You didn’t know how or you just felt like I am not important enough to know?” he interrupted.
“No,” Aliyah shook her head. “It’s not that, I…”
“It seems like you don’t take me as much as I take you,” Sean scoffed and shook his head.
“What are you saying, Sean, I…”
“I told you not to go into the woods that something is wrong with it but did you listen to me even after promising me you won’t?” he asked. “I told you to call for me whenever he comes after you,” he glanced at Steven, “but you didn’t until I showed up myself and that was after I couldn’t take listening to you too again. Why, Ali, because you know he would come to save you once you are in danger and I won’t be needed, right?”
Aliyah sighed, “Sean please, you are taking this too far…”
“It’s okay,” Sean raised his hand to stop her, “since he is your mate, he won’t be hurting you and I know very well not to be where I am not needed.”
“Sean, no,” Aliyah was saying but he had shape shifted into his wolf and ran away. “Sean,” she called but he didn’t look back neither did he stop.
“I knew there was something fishy about the Blue Moon pack Alpha’s daughter; I just didn’t know it would be something this big.”
“Steven please, you have to keep this a secret,” Aliyah said.
“You don’t tell me what to do,” he said, his eyes going then to Edward who kept his gaze on him. He gulped at the intense gaze, feeling the cold down his spine and he shuddered and looked away from him, his eyes going back to Aliyah, “what happened to Gerald and don’t tell me otherwise because it is clear you didn’t go to your room.”
Aliyah exhaled softly. “Gerald was with me in the woods when Edward showed up. To get him to leave us, Edward compelled him.”
“That’s not true, Nightwalkers can’t compel howlers,” he said, glancing at Edward.
Aliyah shrugged. “That’s what I thought too but Edward can. He is not like other nightwalker we know.”
“Then what is he?”
“He is an Original.”
“That’s not true. Legend said they all died.”
“They did, except him,” she shrugged, looking at the man who has not said a single thing again like he wasn’t there. Aliyah sighed, “I was actually going to the nightwalker’s school to get their own history book and see…”
“You were what?” Edward finally asked, his gaze not leaving her.
“I had to, the book in our library said that all the originals died, that they killed themselves and you told me that you are an original and then there is a Prince Edward in the name of the originals so I wanted to get their book and know how you survived.”
Edward was silent and then said after some seconds, “you could have just asked me,” he said rather softly.
“How could I? How many times have we ever had a conversation without you talking about how much you want to kill me or trying to?”
“Wow, what a toxic relationship,” Steven chuckled.
“Shut up,” Aliyah said and Edward glared at him, forcing his laughter back into his throat. “So, don’t blame me for doing anything irrational,” Aliyah said to Edward. “Besides, I did take a defensive measure; the sun is at its highest peak, so…”
“So you thought because the sun is up that you can sneak into a nightwalker school, take their most valued book and then escape?” Edward asked.
Aliyah shrugged, “yes?”
“Whoa,” Steven said, “that is totally impossible. Have you ever been to a nightwalker’s council? They school in day and move around at night.”
Edward raised an eyebrow, silently concurring to what Steven said.
Aliyah frowned, “but how? The sun…”
“The windows are heavily closed with thick drapes that not even a ray of sunlight can pass through and also, because nightwalkers only sleep when they want to since sleep is not a basic thing to them like it is to us. Jesus, what did they teach you in your alpha training? Oops,” Steven stopped, “I forgot, you didn’t go.”
“Yeah, because I’m a girl,” Aliyah replied with a roll of her eyes.
“Sorry not sorry,” Steven replied.
Edward glanced at her, “it seems like you are a magnet for trouble little wolf, do you realize the uproar you would have caused if you had succeeded to go there? And what’s worse, you will be dead before I get there.”
Aliyah pouted, “I didn’t know.”
Steven scoffed, “so much for Alpha’s daughter.”
“That’s enough, Steven,” Aliyah replied, a little angry to his little taunts.
Steven ignored him and turned to Edward. He doesn’t know, he was hardly afraid of strong popular alphas but he was really afraid standing next to him and he tried not show it though, he couldn’t have Aliyah know he was afraid of her mate. Mate, the word sounded somehow to him considering the man’s identity, he wondered how his father is going to feel when he tells him the news, daunting his little plan. “Hey,” he called, bringing the man’s midnight blue eyes to him and he gulped in fear, “what happens to my brother?”
“It’s just a little compel, if he has not recovered from it yet then he must be really weak.”
“Hey, that’s my brother you are talking about,” Steven warned.
“What?” Edward taunted him with his eyes. “You think you are strong? You are just as weak as him, including the one that scurried off.”
Steven gritted his teeth at the insult. No one has ever called him weak. He defeated all the alphas in the alpha training and is considered really strong and yet, this man has called him weak and so casually? “So full of yourself, aren’t you?”
“Wow Steven, that sounds foreign coming from you,” Aliyah said, reminding him how much full of himself he is too.
Steven rolled his eyes. “Whatever, I am out of here and my brother better be fine,” he said and shape shifted. With one glance at them, he turned and ran back the way he came.
“I’m dead,” Aliyah whispered, “he is going to tell on me.”
“He wouldn’t dare,” Edward replied. “Now, about that nightwalker’s school,” he turned to her, his eyes flickering red.