Chapter eighty three

“Are we really going to work with the nightwalkers?” A pack alpha asked.
Damien sighed, “we don’t have a choice. To get rid of the vampire prince, we need the help of his kind. You lot need to see how he easily killed Elder Argon and he was a High Howler that had lived for over four hundred years. Imagine your warriors then and how easily they would be killed by him.”
“Alpha Damien is right,” a High Howler sat up. “We should not belittle the strength of the Dark prince and also, we just found out that he is not just a nightwalker.”
“Not just a nightwalker, what could he be then?” Alpha Ethan asked. He has been hearing stories about Alan’s daughter being mated to the vampire prince, he just couldn’t believe it was true and to think the union ruined his plan of seizing control over the Blue Moon pack. But he doesn’t need to worry now, with this, it won’t be a surprise if the pack ends up being eradicated and with Blue Moon pack gone, Black wind pack would definitely take it’s place.
“He is part demon,” an Elder announced and everywhere went silent like a graveyard. When the noise came back, everyone was speaking at the same time and no one could hear what the other was actually saying. “Quiet down everyone.”
An alpha stood up, “how can we defeat a vampire original who is also part demon? How many demons can we kill, just a few of their species and always the little ones and now, their power is coursing through the veins of a man as strong as the vampire prince.”
“One word to answer your question, Alpha Simon,” Damien said, “we don’t. We definitely cannot kill the vampire prince and most especially now that he is part demon.”
Another uproar started again until an Elder silenced them once more. An Alpha stood up, “then what is the purpose of this meeting, High alpha, what is the purpose of preparing us for a war you know we would not win?”
“We are not going to the war to win, we are going as escorts, to create a distraction so that the High chiefs would find a way to inflict the blow. Listen, some of us would die but as alphas, it’s what we do. Will you prefer sending your warriors to fight the dark prince knowing they don’t stand a chance of winning? If so then I didn’t know that our alphas are cowards who would send the weak in front of a fight while they run and hide.” Damien said and glanced around, no one said anything but he could already see the reluctance on their faces, after all, no one would love to die. “You can back out if you want,” he suddenly said and all their faces lit up. “However,” he said, dashing their spirits immediately, “after the fight, I will strip off the alpha powers on the ones that stayed back and declare them rogues.”
Murmurings raised everywhere but he said nothing, his eyes going and settling on Alan and Aton who had said nothing since the meetings. He sighed and Alan bowed softly at him. “Alpha Alan of the Blue Moon pack will strike the first blow as punishment for bringing this war.”
Alan sighed and nodded, “yes, High Alpha.”
Every other person in the room glanced at him and some took pity on him. It was obvious that Damien was sending him to his early grave, after all, striking first at the dark prince when the man was still energized means that he would be dying at the first blow the man would give him. They felt sorry for him but resented him more because it was because of his daughter that they would be dying too as well. Everyone left for their packs with gloomy faces knowing that their days are now numbered.
***
“Father, you can’t be serious,” Rasmus yelled at the man in front of him, his face spoke of the horror of what he just heard.
“It’s the only way,” Malachi said, “you will save a lot of lives.”
“No, never. Father, do you know what you are asking me to do, to kill my own master? Where in the nightwalkers’ history is it written that a servant killed his master and not just any master but an Original, the nightwalker’s prince. Father, it’s treason, I would be sentenced to death.”
“I am the court, son, I am the leader of the high chiefs and trust me when I say that people would look up to you as their savior and not as an enemy. You would be saving the high chiefs’ lives and they would be grateful for the risk you took to save them. Listen to me,” Malachi took a step closer to him. “He trusts you, he would never suspect you to do it and that means you will have a clear shot of doing it. Son, he should be dead already, my father, his righthand man is already dead, he should be with his men. He wanted to stay and find his mate, he has done that, he should go now.”
Rasmus shook his head as he retreated from his father, his eyes went to his mother and the woman sighed. “Mother please, don’t make me do this, I will never forgive myself.”
“You have eternity to leave son, I am sure you would do so in one of the years,” she said. “Please, you can save your father. He is just your master, this is your father and you can save him if you do this, you can save us all, please son.”
Rasmus closed his eyes and Edward’s face flashed in his mind, the very first day the man gifted him a smile and patted him on the back, praising him for what he did. He tried to think of the disappointment that would cloud those beautiful eyes of his when he sees him holding the bark to his chest. He shook his head to shake off the thought, “I can’t,” he whispered. “I’m really sorry mother but I can’t do it.”
“You don’t have to answer now, we have not heard from the witch about the tree of death, perhaps you can think about it and give me an answer when I call you to come take it.”
Rasmus nodded after a long time and after glancing at his parents, he turned and left the room. He didn’t run back to the palace and just took a long run in the woods, trying to clear his head and not thinking of what his parents was asking of him. He couldn’t believe that just six days ago, he had been begging the prince to spare his father in the battlefield and now, his father is the one that wants him to kill the prince. Can this life be more ironic?
When he finally arrived at the palace, he pushed open the big doors and saw Edward pacing around the living room. The man glared at him as his voice thundered, “where have you been?”
“I-I- I took a run in the woods. I am deeply sorry if the prince had wanted my presence and I wasn’t here,” he bowed his head, feeling too guilty to look at him.
“I didn’t need you for anything, I was just worried. There is a fight brewing, Rasmus and even our own people can’t be trusted. We only have each other and the last thing I would want is you getting hurt because of me. The witches and demons are involved in this fight, even if you can kill any nightwalker or howler that comes your way, you still can’t defend yourself against these two so be careful how you run around these days until I have finished this fight, is that understood Rasmus?”
“Of course, my prince,” he answered and bowed even more, now feeling more guilty about his parents’ intention.
“Get up, you don’t need to bow so low, you head is almost touching the floor.” It was a figure of speech but rather than warm Rasmus’ heart, it made him ache more.
“Yes, my prince,” he nodded and Edward sighed before going to the staircase and going up it.
“Rasmus,” he heard and turned left to see Irene walking up to him. He lowered his head immediately, remembering the woman’s identity and afraid that she would see what was going on in his mind. “Are you okay?”
“Yes, I am,” he answered. “And you, how is your wound?”
“Fully healed,” Irene smiled and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.
Rasmus nodded, “that’s good to hear,” he said and intended to walk away.
“Edward was so worried when you didn’t return the time you should. He kept asking me to try and have a vision, maybe I would see if you are in trouble and needed his help.”
“He said that?” he turned sharply to her with a surprised look.
Irene frowned, surprised that he would asked that. “Edward cares for you, Rasmus. I am sure that in all the people he calls his children, you are the one that he holds dearly to heart. He sees you like a son even though you see yourself as his servant, he truly care about you and never you forget that.”
Rasmus nodded with a sigh, “thanks Irene,” and he was out before the woman would then have a vision and see what his father was plotting.