Chapter twenty seven

Aliyah was shocked at his question. With me? What is that supposed to mean?
Edward could sense her surprise and he sighed. “When I bit that wolf, when I tasted that blood and I fell on the ground, I heard a voice.” He looked deep into her eyes, “it was commanding me to get the wolf, trying to take control over me.” He frowned, “I have never experienced that before in my years of living. Someone was controlling them, and they wanted to control me too but I was too strong and my healing ability got out the effect before I could submit. So,” his hand reached forward and touched her muzzle, surprising her with the gentle caress. “What do they want?”
Aliyah had been stunned with his confession and she too was surprised. Who would be controlling the rogues while leaving them deranged and why her, what do they want with her?
“Change back,” she heard again and looked at Edward. “I have seen you before, so it doesn’t matter.”
His words wiped away every worry in her mind and replaced them with embarrassment as she thought of that night in the human woods and the night in the demon woods. She took her face from his hand, refusing to stand naked in his presence. She heard him sigh and soon, she felt something dropped on her and looked at her body to see that he had draped her with his jacket. Although it was soaked with blood but it was the thought that matters. She bit onto the jacket and ran behind a tree. Transforming into her human self, she put on the jacket and his scent attacked her. His dead plant scent added with a sweetener that it almost drowned her. She placed the collar of the jacket on her nose and despite the blood of the rogues, she was able to pick out his scent and she closed her eyes to inhale it more deeply.
“Don’t go with that thought,” she heard Edward call and felt embarrassed immediately. She wrapped the jacket around herself and walked out from behind the tree. He was looking at her, his eyes shining midnight blue. “I told you to change, not to think.”
“You can hear me?” she asked.
Edward sighed and glanced at the mark on her neck. “I can sense you, your emotions, and your thoughts.”
“That’s the way you found me in the wood that night?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. She had always wanted to know how he knew where she was that night and how he was able to come at the right time.
Edward nodded once. “I felt the pain on your chest and the fear. You fear was transferred to me and come on little wolf, it’s not difficult to sniff you out in the woods.”
“You felt my pain?” Aliyah asked, her hand going to the mark on her neck. “The mating mark doesn’t let us feel pain. It only alerts us of the danger but not feeling the pain, so how did you?”
“The mating mark of the night howlers is different. I am a nightwalker; our mating mark bond is different from yours.”
Aliyah remembered something then and glanced up at him. “That night that you came to my pack, I was wounded by Garuda flower known to be dangerous to werewolves and I was just whipped with a lot of scares on my body but before the night was over, I was healed, no pain, no scratch, not even the poison of the Garuda flower was there again. How is that possible?”
“When I left that…thing,” he pointed at the mark, “I felt this power left me. I guess my healing properties where transferred to you through the mark. From what I read about the nightwalkers mating mark, it wasn’t supposed to be so.” He frowned, “I guess it happened because of my identity. I felt those pains that night too and it healed before morning so I guess, the faster I heal, the faster you do too. And I hate that,” he added after his explanation.
Aliyah frowned, “Why?”
“Because it means that I can’t watch you die in pain anymore,” he answered, making her roll her eyes. “Don’t twirl your eyes at me, little wolf.” He warned.
“It’s called rolling, not twirling, old man,” she corrected and heard him gasp.
“Old man?” Edward took a step towards her, “old man,” he repeated. “You called me an old man?”
Aliyah didn’t think calling him an old man would be such a big deal but seeing how he was reacting, she guessed the man cherished his beauty and she loved that she now knows what she can use against him. “Of course, as an ‘Original,’ how long have you lived?” she raised an eyebrow.
Edward took another step towards her but stopped and looked at his right. Aliyah followed his gaze but she couldn’t see anything, she tried to listen but there was nothing as well. “What is it?” she asked, getting ready to fight if the rogues should show up again.
Edward sighed and took his back at her, “I guess this discussion would carry on another day.”
“What, wait,” she called but he was already gone. She searched around, wanting to know if she could find him anywhere but then she heard the movements and stopped. She could hear the paws beating softly on the ground and sighed, her kind was coming and she finally understood why he left. She pouted, she didn’t know she had been enjoying their discussion until now. It was rare to have a normal discussion with him not talking about killing her or trying to do so. She glanced at her body to see that she was still dressed in his jacket and whoever that was coming might be able to perceive his nightwalker scent.
Her fingers tightened on the jacket, she didn’t want to do away with it but she didn’t have a choice. She glanced at the bodies of the rogues, there was no way only her could kill all those wolves so she cast away the jacket, shape shifted into her wolf and ran towards the approaching wolf to prevent them from seeing the massacre. She knew she was acting like a traitor now, trying to protect a nightwalker but this very nightwalker just saved her life tonight and the most shocking part, he is her mate.
She stopped when the red fur finally came in view. ‘Sean,’ She called in the mind link and the running wolf increased his pace.
‘Finally, God, I have been so worried.’ Sean said when he was close to her, rubbing his giant red head on hers.
‘I’m fine, Sean. Really,’ Aliyah replied, accepting his touch.
‘Are you okay, did you meet them?’
‘Why do you ask?’
‘We were fighting them and then they suddenly start leaving, running towards this direction. Alpha had been happy to see them leave and asked everyone to do a head count to make sure no one was in the woods. Seriously, Ali, I promised Alpha I will never lie to him again but I told him you were sleeping in your room after every wolf had mated. It was a little difficult sneaking out but…’ his giant head shrugged,
Aliyah placed her head under his. ‘I’m fine. I encountered a few rogues though, but I killed them off.’
‘No wonder, I could smell their blood on you and something else,’ he sniffed her body. “Aliyah…’
‘What?’
Sean sniffed some more but then shrugged his head. ‘Let’s go, Alpha mustn’t know that you are out here.’
Aliyah concurred and Sean turned back, running home. Aliyah glanced behind her, her bright blue eyes searching her back. She thought she smelt him but he wasn’t there. She sighed, she would have loved to see him, even if it was just a glance. She exhaled and turned, running after Sean before he could notice she wasn’t following.
Edward jumped down from the tree he was hiding, his eyes blazing red. He had seen how the wolf rubbed his head on her body and he knew it was the night howler’s method of showing affection in their through form. The only thing that prevented him from detaching the wolf’s big head out off its red body was because he didn’t sense hostility from Aliyah but in as much as he didn’t, he hated the close relationship they had and he had to remind himself not to create a scene. He waited until they were out of his sight and he couldn’t hear their paws on the ground anymore before he turned and ran home, picking up his jacket from where she had dropped it.
He has a new quest now, even though he doesn’t accept his mate, he can’t deny the fact that he has found her after searching for two thousand years. Now he needs to find out who is after her and was using her kind to get to her. Perhaps it was the time to finally step out of his comfort zone.