Chapter forty three

Edward scoffed when he heard her words. "How nice, playing pretend, little wolf?" He turned to her then, his eyes were red and his fangs elongated. "You really think I am going to believe that?"

"I don't care what you believe or what you think of me, it's your choice. All I know is that I have told you what I know is the truth. You can go ahead and keep hating me but I am not going to keep being at war with myself over what is right and what is not." She went to him then, not in any way afraid of his red eyes and fangs. "You are hurt, let me help you."

"I don't need your help," he pushed her away and stood up again, he could smell a family of rabbit somewhere around, he just needs to find them and regain some strength with their bloods so he can journey to the human realm and have a good feed.

"Edward, if you knew you are going to be like this then why did you help me? Why are you always there when I need help the most? Why do you always protect me? Why did you let yourself get hurt to this extent because of me? When are you going to stop lying to yourself? When are you going to stop thinking you hate me and just admit it that the mating bond has gotten you like it got to me? When are you going to stop lying to yourself?"

"I will do that the day you are no longer a wolf," Edward answered as he turned to her. "The day that I can stop perceiving that rusty smell whenever you are close to me then that is the day that I am going to let any mating bond get to me. But you and I both know that is never going to happen. So stay away or I might end up killing you tonight," he hissed.

Aliyah smiled and shook her head softly. "You know, between the both of us, I had thought I would be the one in denial since I am so young and you are so advanced. But I guess, age is really nothing but a number."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You don't need to admit it to me or say to my face but I know what I am saying. You went to the Rogue's field the other day because you figured out that they were after me, you wanted to uncover the truth because of me. You also told me to stay away from the woods until you figure out what is happening and finally kill the man in hood. If you don't care about me then why would you do that? Why are you always there when I need you? Why are you always there to protect me? Tell me, do you think the mating mark would get to you if its not because right there in that dead heart of yours that there is a tiny little care for me?"

"Wow, you must be really proud of yourself, filling your mind with all those rubbish. Listen to me, I don't have time for this or to listen to your rambles so you either turn back and head home or I am finishing what I started right this instant," he flashed his fangs at her to scare her off. He didn't like what was happening and he hated it the most since her words were affecting him, throwing him the very questions he has been asking himself but really don't have an answer to.

"Then say it," Aliyah said, unfazed by his intention of scaring her off.

"Say what?"

"The rejection vow," she revealed. "You do know there is a way to free us both from the mating bond. If you really hate me as you claim and you don't want anything to do with me, reject me as your mate. Free us both from the bond. I'm surprise you haven't done it all these time."

Edward stared at her. She was right, he could just say he rejects her or something and then he can go ahead and kill her, be rid of her. He has never heard that one of his kind rejected their mates and he doesn't know if it would work but she is a Night howler and the howlers have the history of rejecting their mates because they are in love with another or something like that. Maybe since she is a howler, the rejection vow would work on them. However, the problem is, he couldn't bring himself to say it.