ENGAGEMENT #2

Author's POV

Abhay was about to say something in the reply of Mukul's comment, when he stopped hearing, "Hello Everyone!"

(Imagine someone wearing this dress in a middle class family function, yes, everyone's expression was the same

(Imagine someone wearing this dress in a middle class family function, yes, everyone's expression was the same. But no one said anything as it's inappropriate to comment on someone's clothing especially girls.)

"Hello." Everyone replied one by one and Rajiv looked embarrassed. He glared at Gargi who shrugged in response indicating that it was his princess' choice.

Then Pandit ji's words took everyone's attention, "Muhurat ka samay ho Gaya hai."

("It's the auspicious time for the ceremony.")

Nodding everyone came closer to the stage and Abhay offered his hand to help Simran walk on the stage. She smiled shying and placed her small soft hand in his big but not very rough hand. She felt hundreds of butterflies in her stomach whereas he felt HOME holding her hands for the very first time. It felt as if she was the person whom he was finding all his life. They climbed the stage together hand-in-hand. Everyone smiled looking at them. Some genuinely and some fake.

As it's an Indian marriage and in Indian marriage there is no ring ceremony originally. It came as Western influence. So they had decided to do both Indian rituals with western ring ceremony. That's why before exchanging rings, they did Tilak which is called as roka in Punjabi weddings.

Simran and Abhay sat on the sofa placed on the stage. The Tilak is actually done by the mother-in-law. But Abhay didn't have a mother. So Ahana did Simran's Tilak.

Pndit ji started chanting sacred rhymes. First Ahana placed a red dupatta on her head then applied a red dot (Tilak) on Simran's forehead between the brows. She showered a few grains of rice on her hand to bless her with Prosperity. Then she placed a coconut in her lap with some fruits, gifts and a jewellery box.

Some people give dryfruits instead of fruits and more cash and diamond jewellery but it is said that these things i.e. fruits, small gift or less cash and especially gold jewellery even if it's small chain is necessary as it is the symbol that they will provide the new member of the family with good food, money and everything. And cherish the new members for their whole life.

After Ahana, Gargi did the same thing with Abhay but to cover his head she placed a red kerchief on his head. As white colour is thought of as inauspicious in the rituals of marriage.

After the Tilak, Pandit ji said that now they could exchange rings. So Simran and Abhay both stood up from their place facing each other. Chitra brought rings in a tray with rose petals. Holding the tray in front of Abhay, she said, "Jiju, You still have time. You can run if you want, but after this you'll be officially engaged."

She seriously said flirting but he took it as a joke and chuckled. He took the ring and when he was about to hold her hand she was pulled backwards. Abhay saw and it was Ekaksh wiggling his brows with a teasing smile and everyone chuckled at Abhay's reaction. He narrowed his eyes at Ekaksh and was again about to hold her hand but when Ekaksh held it and said, "Wow Bhabhi, your hands are so pretty."