Chapter 6: Aegis the Paladin Salaryman

I didn't get around to changing my name. I'm gonna wait until I think of something cool. Apparently, choosing a username is very important. It's what everyone will know you as online. A lot of people have different stories for how they got their names too. It's very cool. I want to have a personal attachment to my name when I create it too.

I finished the meal that Walter prepared for me and went to my room. My eyes immediately drifted to the VR headset. As I picked it up and stared at it, I remembered the words that Lucia said to me.

Do you think that the only way to repent is to throw away your life?

There's no more potential value in a death like that.

This time around, I wasn't going to use the headset to escape my sins. This time around, I'm going to use the headset to have a fulfilling death. One that'll bring value to the world!

As I put my headset on, I laid down on my bed and recited the lines that would activate my headset.

Take me to the place I could escape for all of time.

Take me to My Fantasy Online

My eyes quickly closed and opened back up to see the roof of the guild hall's inn section. I wasn't standing up or anything, I was lying on the bed of the room in my armor. Wait, does that mean that my body stays here even when I'm logged off? I should ask the fairy. I have to figure out how to add friends from her anyway. What was her name again?

"Hey Faye!"

...

What the hell? I thought she was supposed to be my personal fairy. Why isn't she showing up?

"Faye! Faaaaaaaye? Faye?! FAYE?! FAYE FAYE FAYE FAYE FAYE THE FAIRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-"

"WHAT?!" Faye popped up in front of me.

"I wanna know how logging out works for heroes. Also I need to learn how to message people using UI magic."

"Oh really? I thought you were too busy running headfirst into forests to get yourself killed to get my help." She raised her eyebrow and faced away from me.

"Yeah, don't worry. I won't be doing anything that stupid for a while. Now can you tell me how to use my UI magic and help me out?"

"Hmph! That's not going to be enough! You put me through a lot of mental stress yesterday. I'm going to need an apology from you!" She turned around and pointed an accusing finger at me.

It looks like she's not gonna let this go. I'm willing to move past it already, isn't that enough? She wants an apology so bad? Fine! I'll give her one. With a completely straight face, I apologized to Faye.

"I'm sorry that you got overly emotionally invested in someone that you just met and got your feelings hurt in the process."

"Ugh!" She gave me a look of disgust and then shook her head in disapproval before poofing out of the room. Damn it, are you kidding me?! The tank that Lucia found probably cleared their schedule and is waiting for me to message them! Fine, I'll give in!

"I meant to say that I'm sorry for going on a suicide charge into the forest! Do you hear me, Faye?"

"That's better" Faye popped back into the room.

She then began to explain how logging out in MFO works. If someone were to log out in MFO, Their body in MFO will instantly fall asleep at whatever point they logged out at. However, to prevent logging out during combat or "combat logging," You can't log out once you enter combat.

"But wait, that means that when I logged out yesterday, I fell asleep standing up. How did I get on the bed?"

"About that..."