Chapter 36: How Long Is Temporary?

As I stood watch at the outside of Elizabeth's room, I looked at Shapios and formed different things out of boredom. Maybe Matthew was onto something. This is kind of boring.

Let's run through the master plan in my head real quick:

The entire manor is like a Rubik's cube. Parts of it can move and shift at any moment on Elizabeth's command. The plan is to make the manor stay stationary until either Matthew or Violet spots anyone while scouting. Once they spot someone, they'll DM me and Elizabeth will start shifting the manor if they get close to us. They'll be in an endless circle of fighting with Violet and Matthew while I guard Elizabeth.

I'm starting to sense a common theme in our adventures...

"Why am I always the one being left out of the action?"

===

As I came across an intersection of the manor, I ran into Violet.

"Oh! Fancy running into you, Violet!"

"Oh! Uh...right!"

"That was a joke Violet. This is the fourth time this happened..."

"I know..." Violet hung her head low.

It's not that difficult to patrol this place. The hallways are long and based on the colors of the scenery, you can tell what wing of the manor you're in. I guess she just doesn't like walking around such a huge place alone.

"You can patrol with me if you'd like. It wouldn't make much sense for our healer to run into an assassin and have the potential to die first anyway." I said as I began to walk off.

As she began to catch up to me, a large crash could be heard down the hallway. As we looked to see who exactly it was, we were greeted with the presence of a large, red-scaled dragon. As the dragon gave us an intimidating glare, it exhaled and I could feel the temperature of the room rising.

On the dragon's back were two people: One was a burly, tall man with iron armor, a mask that covered the top half of his face, and an obnoxious smile. The other one was guy with a mask and dark hair that covered the eyes of the mask. He hid behind the obnoxious person, but it was as obvious as day that he was there.

"WE'VE DONE IT, LANCE! WE'VE FINALLY FOUND THE GORNWELL ESTATE!"

"It only took us two tries..."

I told Violet to stay with me at all times. As she got close to me, I sent Aegis a short DM. I'm certain of it. These guys are the assassins. I'll dispatch of them so we can close this quest out quickly!

"I'm gonna give you one warning and one warning only: Ms. Elizabeth Gornwell is protected under ME! Matthew of the guild Diligence! So I suggest you get running unless you want these walls to have a nice shade of red on them." I pointed to myself as I gave them a cocky glare.

"SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT: YOU WANT US TO RUN WITH OUR TAILS BETWEEN OUR LEGS BECAUSE SOME NOBODY NAMED 'MATTHEW' ASKED?! HA! TRY AGAIN!"

"Well tell the devil that the 'nobody' named Matthew sent you!" I yelled as I began to charge him.

Before I could even get ten steps closer to him, the dragon that he came in on opened its mouth and shot out a ball of fire the size of the entire hallway. As it sped towards me, I had no other thoughts than to tank the damage and keep moving. But I looked at the level and noticed that the dragon was level 30.

Taking the brunt of a blast like this could kill me...

"Life Saver!" I heard a voice say and I was immediately pulled to the right.