Chapter 39: The Person of Questionable Value

The three of us met Lucia in the guild hall and noticed that another girl was sitting right next to her. The girl seemed to be a teenager, but she was dressed like a rogue.

"Matthew! Over here!" Lucia waved us down as we approached the table. Once we sat down, she began to explain the mission.

"An opportunity just rose up to get a lot of XP. After you guys complete this, we'll be ready for the blazing blizzards." Lucia then put her hand on the girl's head and ruffled her hair.

"This is my daughter, Wendy!"

Daughter?! Lucia has a child?! But she seems close to my age! Unless...I just assumed her age! The girl looks about 14. If Lucia is in her late 20s, then she must've had her a a young age. Poor thing...

"Matthew, why the hell are you looking at Lucia like you pity her?" Aegis quickly caught onto me.

"Oh haha! She's not my child by birth. I adopted her back at Jericho. She'll be accompanying you on this mission. " Lucia quickly dispelled the thought and continued. "Long story short, a strange figure has been spotted entering and leaving Destra. When questioned by guards, the figure said that he must 'awaken the lesser king.'

"The lesser king?! What's the lesser king doing in the scorching sands?!" Aegis slammed his hands against the table. If this lesser king is making Aegis the lore nerd worry, then we've got our work cut out for us.

"The lesser king?" Violet asked. I'm glad she did, because I would've asked myself soon enough.

Aegis explained that every hundred years, the heirs to the demon king's throne battle to prove their worth. The most recent battle was apparently a very close one that lasted four days. Once they finished fighting, the loser became known as the lesser king. He was harassed physically and mentally for years until he finally excommunicated himself and left the demon kingdom.

"But it doesn't stop there." Aegis continued his explanation.

That's when the lesser king began his conquest on humanity. And since he was practically on par with the demon king, he surely gave humanity at the time a run for their money. Luckily, there was a human that destroyed the lesser king in one cut and locked him away forever. That human was named Manaro the hero.

"Now that I think about it...Manaro was born in Destra. It makes sense that he locked the lesser king in a random deposit." Aegis finished.

"It WAS random, but I discerned three possible locations it could be. I'll DM it to you guys after this meeting." Lucia said.

"I guess it isn't a far fetch to say that the mission here is to stop this mysterious person from awakening the lesser king." I said.

"Yup! Given that the lesser king is on par in terms of power with the demon king who we speculate to be level 100, If he is awakened it's practically GAME OVER!" Lucia made an X with her arms.

"This seems very dangerous. Shouldn't we enlist the help of others like members of Lightspeed?" Violet asked.

"No can do. The more people join in on quests, the less XP will be shared. If just the three of you do this, you'll certainly make enough XP to begin the expedition into the Blazing Blizzards. High risk, high reward." Lucia said.

"Alright that just clears up everything except for one thing: why is SHE coming along?" I pointed over to the girl and once all eyes were on her, she immediately looked down at the table.

"I want her to take part in this. I'm sure she'll be useful for something. Just be gentle with her. She's deaf, so it'll be a bit hard for her to keep up at first."