Chapter 20: The Diverging Paths We Choose

The first day of the trip went smoothly. Since all of us were above level ten, we dispatched of the monsters that approached the stagecoach with ease.

"Sir, to your right!"

Gash quickly picked up the habit of calling me "Sir." At first, I didn't really care as much. I thought of it as a nickname he gave me. But then he started doing a little too much.

If there were puddles, he would take off his coat and lay it down so I could cross. When food is ready, he makes sure that I get the first meal. He even blocks any hits I would take with his body. I'm pretty sure if I told him "die for me," he'd do it.

"Here's your meal, sir!"

"Thanks..." I received the bowl of soup.

Apparently when it comes to cooking in MFO, players are able to do it on expeditions as long as they know how to IRL. Both Aegis and Gash know how to cook, so everyone else gathered the materials while they worked together to make the meal. Everyone except for Roxline. "I was just told to be here for the ride. I'm not doing anything else." She said. Regardless, we did all this whilst not stopping for a moment.

"EFFICIENCY IS IMPORTANT! WE DON'T STOP FOR ANYTHING!" Hermes said.

Half of the squad ate in the stagecoach while the other guarded it outside. Gash made sure to sit directly next to me. Roxline still had her eyes closed. I didn't think it was possible to sit in one spot for so long in this game. I began to draw the line when he began to try spoon feeding me.

"Alright! You need to calm down! I understand I'm your idol and everything, but it's getting out of hand."

"I'm sorry, sir. It's just that you're so amazing in everything you do! You're like a father-figure and role model to me."

"Heh. In that case, you should call Dad or daddy." Aegis joked while eating.

"D-daddy?!" Violet's face immediately flushed red and she covered it with her hands.

Gash looked at me, as if asking for permission to do so, and I instantly shot him down.

"No!"

"Ok..." Gash looked down at his soup with a saddened expression.

This is really getting ridiculous. Having someone idolize you and do everything for you isn't as fun as I thought. Plus the entire "Sir" thing bothers me as well. It's time to clear the air up about that.

"Listen, doing all of these things for me is very flattering, but keep in mind that we're both on the same team after the same goal. We're equals so-" Gash interrupted me by gasping loudly.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying? Are you saying that we should be friends!?" Gash got into my personal space as he asked.

"I mean, that's not where I was going with that, but sure, I guess." I avoided his exuberant gaze.

"AHHHHHHH! I'm so excited sir-I mean, Matthew!" Gash instantly opened up his menu and sent me an invite.

As I looked at the invite, I began to wonder about the friends I have so far: Lucia, Violet, Aegis, even Elizabeth. These people would probably at least be bummed out if I wanted to go on a suicide charge. That's what Faye meant when she said "Make friends that'll care about you like I do," right?

I accepted the invite and Gash started jumping around in excitement.

"I'M FRIENDS WITH MATTHEW!"

As he was jumping around the stagecoach, a large stomping sound could be heard from outside the carriage. Everyone ran outside to see what was happening and what stood before our carriage was an giant that towered above any tree. And right on the shoulder of that giant stood a cheery girl with long, curly pink hair that fell to her shoulders and back with a black baseball cap. She also wore a pink and white short sleeved jacket and blue jeans.