Chapter 23: Deposit Divers

I was being transported through the forest at immense speeds via slime. I can't believe Matthew couldn't break me out too! I'm gonna give him a hard time when I see him again. I tried stabbing the slime around me, but to no avail. It was like I was in the deep end of a pool trying to fight the very water around me. At a point, I just gave up and sat waiting for the slime to take me wherever it was going.

Not long after, I could see the lights of Jericho in the distance-WAIT! THE LIGHTS OF JERICHO?! THIS STUPID SLIME SENT ME BACK THIS FAR?!

As I struggled more out of frustration, the slime spat me out at the front gate. I was covered in slime, angry, and wanted to take it out on something. Thank goodness this slime is still here!

I swung at the slime with my sword, but it easily dodged it.

"Eh?"

I attempted a feint into a swung, but the slime reacted just fast enough to dodge my attack.

"HEH?!"

I tried to shield bash, he dodged. I tried gaze of pity, it looked at me, but didn't attack. I even tried to use Shapios to trap it, but it got out just in time.

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH?!"

What the hell? I don't get it! Slimes aren't normally this fast! Why the hell is this one so swift?! I looked at the slime's untouched HP and then it's name. It was literally called "Agile Slime." I sheathed my weapon. There's no way I'm hitting it and it's not hostile, so I might as well just try to catch up with the rest of the group.

Once I sheathed my weapon and walked back into town, the slime went back into the forest. It probably assumes that I've given up. Little does it know, things are just getting started.

I walked to the market and found stables. They had all sorts of horses of all sorts of shapes and sizes. Frankly, I just need the fastest one.

"I'll take your fastest steed! Now! I'm in a hurry!" I told the storeowner. He wore a noble outfit, but it was obvious he was from the lower reach. He also wore a smile that screamed he was masking his true intentions. I have to be careful with this guy. I don't want to be scammed.

"No problem! Follow me!" the merchant led me to the stables nearby and as soon as he pointed out the fastest horse there, I got on top of it.

"I'll take it."

"Sure thing! That'll be 700,000 gold!"

"700,000 GOLD?! YOU CAN GET A HOUSE IN THE UPPER REACH FOR THAT MUCH!"

"Well, she's a fast girl. A real valuable one too. I reckon a desperate paladin that needs to beat the other guilds can get to the end of the scorching sands in a day with her!" He patted the horse as he briefly went over its specs.

This guy knows who I am and what I'm after. He's probably hiking up the prices of all the horses because he knows I'm desperate! I'm going to have to use every bit of my persuasion power to do this! Aegis: Master Haggler, is about to give it everything he's got!

"We DO have a credit program if you don't have the funds right now."

"You KNOW that's gonna do more harm than good to me." I crossed my arms.

===

Polk, Gash, and I walked the endless sands of the scorching desert. We three have been told to hunt down food for the rest of the group, but I am getting very tired of this place already. Unlike the forest of beginnings, there wasn't anything interesting to look at or see. Gash mentioned that this frontier had an entire shtick to it where everything remotely interesting would be in these underground cave-like environments called "Deposits." The real problem lies in this...