𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

[unedited]

The snow had covered the ground now, the official winter season starting

The snow had covered the ground now, the official winter season starting. With cold hands and a frost bitten nose, Molly walked into the diner. She couldn't find her coat and was already running late for school. All she wanted was a hot cup of coffee and to get this day over with.

Luke saw her walk in, wearing a sweatshirt over her longsleeve and shook his head in disappointment. He didn't say anything though, rather, filling her to-go cup so she could continue to school.

"Did Wyatt leave?" She asked and he shook his head.

"He's upstairs, go get one of his jackets, it's freezing out there." Luke had this tone, the fatherly voice that had always made her wish she had a father who was around.  She listened, making her way upstairs to hear the two boys arguing inside their room.

"Fuck you! Get the hell out of my—" Molly opened the door nervously and both stopped.

"Boys, we don't have time to fight, we're gonna be late for school." She said as she walked in and Wyatt rolled his eyes, grabbing his bag and jacket. "Wait, I can't find my coat and Luke said—"

"You know where they are." Wyatt muttered, shrugging the jacket over his arms as she unhooked one from behind his door. She pulled it on, following a far too frustrated Wyatt down the stairs.

Was he mad at her? Did Jess say something? They hadn't seen each other since the day of the first game, though. They hadn't bothered to even say 'hi' to each other in passing.

They got halfway down the block before Molly was asking him to slow down. Rather slowing, he came to a stop, turning to Molly with tears in his eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She didn't know whether to hug him or not, it was hard to tell sometimes.

"He made a joke, but.. it's not a joke and—" Wyatt hugged the shorter girl, "it was about my mom." He mumbled and she felt sick, that Jess of all people would joke about that.

"What'd he say?" She asked softly and his shoulders shuttered.

"Just about how she left me, how she never wanted me. I-I cant remember but it's such a dick move from someone who's mom literally shipped him here because she couldn't handle him. I'd never say that though, because that's just.. its mean." Wyatt tore away, sucking in a breath as he wiped his tears.

"At least you actually got one good parent." Molly didn't really know what to say, now pissed at Jess for ever saying anything like that.

"Dad's not just good, he's the best." Molly always loved that, how much Wyatt recognized Luke's efforts. They were the ideal father-son relationship, would do anything for one another.

"I got daddy issues, you have mommy issues, together—"

Wyatt took her hand with a grin, "we're unstoppable."