XXXIII

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Doha, Qatar.

"Anastasia," a nurse said, looking down at her clipboard as she spoke. I rushed up from my seat, ironing down my dress with my hand as I gave a wide smile towards her. "You can go into surgery now!"

I sped into the room, looking at Ney and his drowsy face as he struggled to pull himself up. I gave a half smile before walking over, three doctors still surrounding him as I handed him the flowers and chocolates I had purchased from a shop I had found scouring the hospital.

I rubbed my thumb against his face as he held a guilty conscience; our hearts were both broken and full at the presence of each other. "The surgery went well." The doctor announced, instantly pulling me out of the trance of his eyes. "After three to four months of recovery, you'll do standard physical therapy, and you will fully heal within six to twelve months."

"No pressure on his leg; you can resume all physical activities at a lower level after two weeks." I could feel the joke about to escape Ney's mouth; usually, he'd spew dirty humour at any moment, yet he stayed silent as the doctors marched out of the room.

Silence. Pure, utter, deathly silence—just Neymar and me in a hospital room, realising that now is the time we're meant to break up. "Did you sleep okay?" I joked, and he laughed slightly, mainly to ease the tension.

"The best sleep of my life." He responded, his teeth peeking out of his smile as he looked up at me, and somehow he looked weak. The man who would never stand down from conflict, the man whose arms I only felt safe in, the only man who defended me, was weak.

I could feel the tension in the room as one question lingered in our minds: "What now?" We had delayed this breakup for the past six days, yet now, on March 10th, we would have to do it. I felt my heart drop as he opened his mouth to speak.

"So this is it." He chuckled, and I tilted my head slightly in confusion. Why was he laughing at this moment? We stayed silent for a second before he looked back up at me, his eyes filled with sorrow. "It doesn't have to be the end."

"It doesn't," His face lit up for a second, and I could feel my tongue attempting to hold back what I was about to say. The words that I'd regret for the rest of my life. "But it should be."

"How can you say that?" He argued, sitting up and wincing in pain as he pulled himself away. "We reunited ten years ago; we fell in love again; we escaped each other again; we found each other again; and now we're finally together. If God keeps putting us together, how can you just let us split up?"

"Then I guess we'll find each other again..." I sniffled, the thumps of my heart expelling more pain into my body as I saw the tears forming in his perfect eyes. Perhaps the last time I'll see those eyes The eyes that could convince me to do anything "You said-"

"I made a mistake. I make mistakes; we all make mistakes, and we can try again. Please." He pleaded, his hands grabbing mine as he rubbed his thumb against my palm, a sense of desperation in his voice. "Anna, I can't lose you too."

"I'm sorry." I leaned in slightly, my lips grazing his cheek, the red lipstick staining his face. Hopefully, that's the last stain I'll leave on him. "This is best for both of us."

We held in place, silently weeping, our foreheads touching as we held hands, wishing to not be separated. At that moment, I realised my entire plan would change. The man I'd once hoped to marry would only become a stranger, and I'd slowly forget him. I'd forget his voice; I'd forget our inside jokes; I'd forget the love he had for me; and I'd forget what his eyes looked like. I'd have to forget the eyes that looked at me with so much love for the past eleven years.

The epitome of heaven on earth travelled further and further as I moved away from him, and it was my fault. He lingered on my skin, goosebumps rising from where he once held me. We nodded at each other before I began to walk away, yet I felt my name being called at the doorway. "Anna, what are we now?"

"Soulmates in every universe except this one."

»»————- ♡ ————-««

A/N: sorry for this one, missing my ex currently.