XLVI

»»————- ♡ ————-««
Her arms wrapped around me as I entered her home, the candles creating a dimly lit ambience that surrounded us.

Her soft face was now slightly aged and her blonde hair was tinted with grey streaks. Yet somehow she looked the same as she did 20 years ago.

“Long time no see,” I joked as she led me into the dining room. I noticed the pictures of her children and husband hanging on the wall and couldn’t help but feel a twinge of jealousy at her picture-perfect life.

“Yeah, you don’t come back often.” She responded as she handed me a carb-filled plate. “The model world must be busy.”

I laughed slightly in the sense of agreement. “How is everyone? I haven’t even met your youngest yet.” She hummed in response.

We shared a long silence, lingering memories filling the room as we ate our meals. I saw the disappointment in her eyes as we made awkward eye contact. The godmother of her children, her childhood best friend was now a complete stranger.

I had planned her bachelorette party and most of her wedding, and we had made a verbal contract that she would do the same for me when it was my time.

Now, I had to ask Maria to be my maid of honour even though she could be considered merely an acquaintance.

“I’m getting married.” I blurted out, her eyes widening as I told her the news. “Next year in June in Brazil, and then a smaller Catholic ceremony in Italy for my mum.”

“I saw it online but I didn’t know if it was a rumour!” She squealed as she inspected the ring and gave me a friendly wink. “So are you here to renew the contract?”

I gave a nod and she ran across the table to hug me, her tight squeeze corrupting my airway as she yelled.

“Yes, yes, yes” on repeat. I let out a huff as she seated herself back down, due to the sudden lack of air and the fact she agreed. “But,”

“But?” I queried, my heart racing as she looked down and bit her lip.

“I don’t have the money. Two kids, and not marrying a famous footballer will do that to you.” She tucked a strand behind her ear. “I don’t know if I could do the same considering that many days off work might kill us financially.”

I tutted at her words and reached into my purse, scouring for my chequebook. “How much would you lose if you took two weeks off work?”

“Two grand, but the preparations, travel, accommodations, time taken to plan everything. I just think you deserve someone who can do it better.”

She placed her hand on mine as I began to write out a cheque.

“If I gave you one hundred thousand euros would it be enough?” I asked and she widened her eyes as she slapped my hand away.

“I can’t accept that! That is too much, no way.” She rejected it as I began to write out the cheque. “That’s enough for a very small house!”

“Maria, accept the money and be my maid of honour. I’ll fly you out everywhere, I’ll pay for babysitting, I’ll call your job myself and tell them to stop.”

She continued to shake her head in disbelief. “I have the money and I don’t have anyone else who could do a better job.”

“I just can’t accept that, I don’t want to use you for your money.” She sniffled as she began to explain but I cut her off.

“I know your husband was laid off and I know the reason for the candles. Let me help you, we were young and poor now let’s be old and rich together.” I exclaimed yet she seemed hesitant. “You’re accepting the money either way, only one way you get to see me walk down the aisle.”

She rolled her eyes as she held the cheque in her hand. “Thank you.”
“Your thanks will be how we’re flying out to London tomorrow to try out dresses,” I mumbled and she hit my arm. “It’s a prestigious shop and it’s the only time they could get me in!”

“Well, then we’ve got an entire plane ride to catch up!” She celebrated as our glasses clinked together and we scoffed down an entire glass of wine.

»»————- ♡ ————-««
London

The rustic shop was filled with busy brides and even busier workers as we were handed some champagne to aid us as we waited to be placed with someone. “Very prestigious,” Maria mumbled and I gave a sharp nod.

“Ney’s mum recommended it so I figured it’d be good to try,” I replied. “Plus, this counts as a celebrity wedding so they’re not allowed to mess up with me.”

“What a dream.” She giggled as a woman hastily walked towards us, extending her arm and experiencing celebrity weddings.

“Hiya, I’m Aurora and I will be helping you find your dream dress today!” She grinned, her bleach-blonde hair swaying as she spoke. Eventually, she led us to a private area, the ceiling rustic and the walls painted a blush pink.

“So,” She continued, “What kind of things are you looking for?”
I thought for a second, my online presence has always been sultry, however when I imagined myself getting married a princess dress seemed to always be the dream.

“I’m not sure.” I lied.

“Well, what kind of venue are we looking at?” She questioned as her pen tapped against the notepad. “How many people will be coming? What will the decorations be like? Things like that can decide what vibe you’d want.”

“A Catholic Church for the ceremony, quaint but beautiful. We aren’t having many people for the ceremony but the reception will be the main event with everyone we’ve ever known,” I laughed as Maria scrolled on Pinterest next to me.

“We do have more modest dresses for the catholic part, I’m sure we can make it slightly sexy aswell.” She grinned, obviously already knowing my reputation and correlating it with my dress choices.

Maria chimed in, “I’d also like you to bring your biggest princess gown!” She spat out, the champagne smell in her breath. “Something lacy with a big veil.”

Aurora glanced at me and saw the smile on my face, forming a smile as my reveals of what I wanted were being slowly unveiled. She rushed off to grab a large range of expensive dresses, knowing I’d be an easy paycheck.

“What if I’m too old for the princess look?” I whined, collapsing onto the couch behind me. Maria scoffed at my audacity.

“No one is too old for the princess look, you can get tight and sexy but last I checked (ten years ago) you chose a lacy, sparkly, big dress and stuck to it.” She reprimanded me and I slightly pushed her away.

“Don’t think of other people this time, if a carriage and horse are necessary I’ll steal them from a barn.”
»»————- ♡ ————-««

Aurora appeared soon after, holding my dream dress, however, the first look is for my husband…

»»————- ♡ ————-««