XXXVIII

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Florence, Italy

The plane landed. Its wheels stomped against the runway as everyone applauded for the pilot, instantly grabbing my luggage. I practically ran out of the plane to the pickup station. My feet moved in synchrony as I joyously extended a wave to my little brother.

As I extended my arms, he ran into a gigantic hug, my arms squeezing him in a loving manner as he happily complied with my suffocation. "I missed you so much!" I grinned, slobbering the boy I hadn't seen in years with a kiss while scrunching the 7-year-old boy's dark hair.

After initial happiness, I was met with the uncompromising and tough woman that stood beside him, my mother. Her face was stern as I readjusted my clothes to her presence, and I was instantly reminded of why I don't go back home.

We stood there for a few seconds, analysing each other's faces as my brother waited in anticipation of what might happen. Our faces did not move, not even a flinch or a twitch on either side, attempting to show dominance to the other party.

Finally, the silence was broken by her voice: "You came back.". She stated that her voice was tainted by a hidden realisation that her daughter was back. I gave a half-lipped smile before responding.

"You answered my call." I felt her eyes stalking me as she resisted a pleasant expression. "Thanks for picking me up; I could've called a taxi!" I exclaimed, and she carefully nodded, her black hair swaying during the motion.

Silently, she left, and I followed. Leading me towards the beat-up car, which hadn't aged since I last saw her. My brother's small fingers were held in mine, his childhood innocence shining through as I helped him into the car, prepping ourselves for an awkward car ride.

After a noiseless initial ten minutes, her voice could be heard, barely, as it was in a hushed whisper. "I watched the TV, the show you were on.". I replaced the shock with a confused face as she continued. "The town won't stop gossiping about you."

"My bad." I accepted defeat, ready to withstand her screams and anger, yet she simply sighed. Perhaps she had changed, or perhaps she had simply given up on her problem child.

"He didn't seem right for you anyway, bambina; too flashy." She joked for the first time in years. Another ten minutes of silence passed, symphonies flowing through my headphones, yet I was interrupted again. "You got back together with Neymar."

I slid my headphone off my ear, considering how to reply. "Yeah, for a bit." I fiddled with the sleeve of my sweater and tried to avoid eye contact. "Do you remember him?"

She smiled as she reminisced, "How could I forget? He came to my house with that haircut." She laughed, her focus slightly diverting from the road. "He looked stupid," she smiled. "But I'm glad I met him, lovely boy."

I nodded in agreement, resting my head against the window and solemnly staring. The world is a canvas filled with greenery and undulating hills, a breathtaking sight.

"Do you still love him?" She promptly asked, my eyes widening at her question as I immediately turned to face her. Caught off guard by the randomness and intensity of her words. "What?"

"He's got a girlfriend!" I stuttered, my voice still rendering the unexpected words that now hung in the air. She raised her eyebrows, unconvinced. "I guess I do, but that doesn't matter."

"Call him." She plotted, and I gave her a disturbed look again. "Trust me."

"I am not calling him!" I argued, my eyes squinting to attempt to see whatever insanity she was planning. She simply shrugged her shoulders, my knotted brows not affecting her in the slightest. "He wouldn't pick up."

She fiddled with her wallet, still holding one hand in the wheel, and pulled out twenty euros, chucking them towards me. "If he doesn't, you can have it." She winked, and even though I was thoroughly concerned for her sanity, I held on to the money and unlocked my phone.

Stupidity must've been prevalent as I dialled his number. My fingers hesitated as I scrolled through my contacts, which had become smaller after the immense drama resulting from my breakup. The phone rang multiple times, each ring simultaneously filled with hope and worry.

"Anna?" He greeted me at the other end of the line, his familiar voice bringing back emotions I never knew I could feel.

"That's my name!" I joked and got a slight laugh from the phone, mainly out of sincerity for my terrible humour. "I was just calling to...

"Hello, Neymar!" My mother boomed, leaning towards my phone. Attempting to help the awkwardness of our dialogue "How are you?" She grinned as I placed my hand against her face and pushed her away.

"Hello Paola," he laughed. "Anna came back to visit?"

"Yes, after so many years of leaving her helpless mother at home, she is back here to terrorise me." She satirically stated this, placing her hand against her hand as she spoke. I rolled my eyes at her comments, holding the phone closer as they continued their conversation.

"Anna, how could you?" He gasped, withstanding the laugh that was sneaking through his lips. "Leaving poor Paola all alone!"

"I don't get why I've become the villain here!" I defended. "Ney, why aren't you on my side?" I accused myself as I held the phone up to my lips. "I thought I was your favourite!"

"I don't know why you think that, but Paola is obviously the number one in this situation," he teased, my brother, beginning to wake up due to the noise. "Put me on Facetime." Hurriedly, I turned on the camera and pointed it towards the family.

"Atticus! You've gotten so big!" He uttered it in disbelief, and Atticus showed his toothy grin to respond. "Do you still play football?" Atticus confidently nodded. "Don't let me play against you!" Even though I could only see him through a pixelated screen, his beauty still shone through as the sun began to set and the golden sun fell on his warm skin.

His hair was messy as he ruffled his hands through it, and his perfect smile wafted through the air like a gentle breath of delight. Golden Hour looked flawless on him. Our faces matched in bliss and joy; the only thing we needed was our own company.

"When are you visiting?" Paola asked, and I raised my eyebrows (once again) at her comment. Her immense confidence in her own likeability She simply winked at me, secure in her matchmaking skills.

"I don't know if I can; I've got physical therapy and some charity things." He rubbed the back of his neck before continuing. "Vittoria wouldn't like me running off." I gave an uneasy smile towards my mother, moving the camera off me, yet she simply brushed me off.

"Two days, Neymar, please?" She pleaded as I sat in doubt that my mother's words would work. He thought for a minute, weighing the pros and cons in his head, silence filling the car. "I'll make you my famous spaghetti."

"It's only two days." I weighed in. He shook his head at his own choices, knowing he had to accept them. The family awaited his answer, and after a short silence, he answered.

"I'll be there tomorrow."

»»————- ♡ ————-««

A/N: Maths exam today 😪, it wasn't that bad but there were some questions I knew absolutely nothing about. Anyways, hope everyone enjoys this. Look forwards to some fluff in the next few chapters!!!