an unwanted interaction

"Alright, today, we're gonna have a little social interaction! Get in pairs, you and your partner will interact and later write a poem for each other that you think they'd like!" The teacher says as the class starts looking around and moving, everyone getting into pairs except for you and another girl.

Oh, great. Partner work. I always get bad grades with these because I can barely work with whoever I'm paired with. Why do these even exist? Shouldn't it be optional? Why make an assignment purely based off of interacting with another human being?

Asa rambles to herself in her head, fidgeting with her bangs.

"Asa? Y/N? Do you have partners?"

Asa looks over at the teacher, looking down in shame. "I don't." She quietly states.

You shake your head no.

"Hmm.. alright, you two pair up then."

Asa looks over at you, hesitantly getting up and sitting in the seat beside you. "I really don't wanna do this." She says in almost a whisper.

"You have today and the weekend to get to know each other. The poems are due Monday!" The teacher says as everyone begins to talk to their partners.

You stare at Asa, being as shy and reluctant to do this as she is. "So.. do you have any hobbies?" You ask, not knowing what else to say.

"Hobbies?... does homework count?" She asks.

You giggle a little, placing your hand on your desk.

"You do homework for fun?? Ain't that a little boring?"

"Boring? It's necessary for me to pass. I don't really have anything else to do, anyway." Asa says, looking away and feeling a bit embarrassed.

Really, Asa? Homework? Is that all you can come up with? You could've just said something like watching TV, that would've been way better than saying homework! Idiot!

"Well.. I guess your homework for now will be hanging out with me so you can write a poem about me, yeah?" You say as you smile. "I never have anything to do either."

Asa looks back at you. "Y-Yeah.. guess so.."

"You should get close with this person. She seems friendly enough, no? You could develop a nice friendship." Yoru says to Asa, standing beside her and leaning over her. Asa looks at Yoru and tries her best not to say anything out loud, as you obviously cannot see Yoru.

I don't want to make any friends. It only leads to more problems, and I already have enough.

She thinks to herself, knowing Yoru can hear her thoughts. Yoru crosses her arms and grunts. "Keep telling yourself that, then."

Asa clears her throat, looking back at you. "I assume you don't have any hobbies either?"

You take notice of her looking off for so long and then shrugging a bit. "I kinda just do whatever I feel like doing. What were you looking at?" You say, looking in the direction she was looking.

Asa opens her mouth a little, looking at you and not giving a response.

Act natural... act natural... she tells herself repeatedly.

"Oh! Um, I thought I saw a.. fly?" She says awkwardly.

"Oh, a fly? It caught your attention for that long, huh? Maybe we should tell the teach to keep the windows closed.. it's unsanitary." You say.

"Y-Yeah! It is unsanitary! Imagine anything that could just come right into the classroom if the window's open all the time!"

Oh, thank crap they believed me.. Yoru, stop talking to me in class! It puts us at risk!