new scars, same war

Asa lays her head upon your shoulder, hugging your arm as you continue to sit in silence. You start thinking about everything that'd happened.

Chester's gone.

So is Mai, thankfully.

Well.

Not yet.

You pull your heart out with your left hand so you don't have to move Asa off of you.

"Hearts, disconnect."

Mai's heart pops out of yours and falls on your lap. It's faintly beating. You put your heart away, grabbing hers and crushing it immediately.

"What was that? I.. can't really see anything." Asa says, lifting her head off your shoulder.

"Crushed Mai's heart."

"Oh.. good riddance. She was so fake.. was only trying to eat us that whole time."

"Maybe.. I dunno. It didn't seem fake. It's not like she hated us, or it would've been obvious cuz I would've been able to feel that radiating from her all the time."

"I guess it's just.. in her nature, then. She was the one copying us, though, right?"

"Yeah, and she'd been feeding us human meat the whole time."

"WHAT?! EW! GROSS!"

"RIGHT?!"

"..Why does human meat taste like pork then? Ew.. ugh, now I feel sick.. well, more sick, I already felt sick."

"You've been feeling sick a lot lately, y'know."

"Oh, I wonder why."

"Yeah.."

"..I was trying to be sarcastic. Like, I've been feeling sick because we've been fighting a lot."

"I totally knew you were being sarcastic, like, duh, that was obvious."

"..."

"Totally."

"..Y/N, do you think we should maybe just die?"

"NO?!"
"No."

You hear Yoru from beside you.

"A-Asa, wh.. why would you say that? We can't just.. like.."

"Y/N, we're being hunted and have no place to live. Chester's dead. We have nobody to go to. We have no more weapons and we're eventually going to be found. They won't just call it off.. this.. this is our life now."

"W-We can find a place.. we're definitely not gonna be living in this alley.."

"I agree with Y/N. You're being irrational, Asa."

"I'M irrational?! I told you both we needed to run, and guess who didn't listen! AND, Y/N, you changed my emotions without asking!"

"We can't just die!"

"..Seems like the best option."

"..So you'd just.. rather die than trying to survive this with me?"

"That's not what I'm saying."

"That's exactly what you're saying, Asa."

"Then what do we do? Kill everyone that tries to kill us?"

"..I guess?"

"You guess."

"Well, we can't just die, you idiot. Don't say that shit, man. We've already almost died too many times recently, I don't wanna waste that luck since we're somehow still alive."