Chapter 5 - A Girl with no Name

"...So this is called a Spirit, and this is an AST, ground Anti-Spirit Team," Kotori explained.

Itsuka Shidou, your average highschool Student was currently aboard on bridge of the Fraxinus Airship. Next to him, on the commander seat, her little sister Itsuka Kotori.

"You got yourself tangled up in a real mess there. If he hadn't recovered you, you probably would've died two or three times by now. Anyway, moving on-"

"H-hang on a minute!" Shidou interrupted.

"What? You are getting an explanation directly from the commander and everything. Your eyes should be soaked up with tears at the honor. I'll even let you lick my boots just this once-a real privilege!" Kotori spat out this line that made her seem very different from the Kotori he knew.

"R-really?!" Kannazuki cried out joyfully. She immediately shoved her elbow into his solar plexus. "Not you."

"Hngaaah...!"

Shidou opened his mouth, dumbfounded. "You... are Kotori, right?"

"Ara, did you forget what your own little sister looks like, Shidou? I knew you had terrible memory, but for it to be this bad... perhaps I should find a suitable seniors' home for you.

A stream of sweat ran down Shidou's face. He slapped his cheeks to see if he was dreaming or not.

Nope. Definitely real. He scratched the back of his head.

"My brain is completely fried from all the stuff that doesn't make sense. What are you doing here? And, who are these people? And this place? And-"

"Calm down." Kotori cut him off, spreading our her fingers to stop Shidou's rambling. "If you can't comprehend the other stuff, there is no need to tell you anything."

She pointed at the large screen on the bridge, which showed a girl with black hair, wearing a bizarre armored dress. Right-he met her before. Just a few moments ago. Along with her, people wearing mechanical armor.

"Uhm... A Spirit...? You said that! right?" Shidou asked hesitantly. A being who appeared at random in their world.

"Mm-hmm. Normally, she doesn't exist in this world. They just appear out of nowhere without any origin." Kotori explained.

Shidou could only press his palm on his forehead and grimace. "...Sorry, this is a lot to take in. I don't really get it."

"You still dont understand?" Kotori shrugger her shoulders and sighed. "Then, let's have someone else explain it for you. In simpler terms." Kotori snapped her fingers in the direction, just to Shidou's left.

There stood a person. He couldn't see him at all when he stepped onto the bridge. It was like he had no presence whatsoever. That person had a tall, lean build, just a little bit muscular and taller than Shidou. His hair was black and his face was covered in a weird mask. But, Shidou could instantly recall some of his memory. When he was still little, he heard about a real-life hero roaming around the country, fighting criminals and protecting the citizens in the news. He was fascinated and wanted to become a hero himself too-before the harsh reality hit him hard.

But now, he finally met the hero he admired. The Magician in flesh.

"Y-you're..!"

"Yo, Shidou." He waved his hand.

"I-it's an honor meeting you." Shidou bowed his head.

"Stop with the formalities. I'm only a highschool student myself."

"Huh? What do you mean..?" Shidou turned his eyes to the Magician again.

It didn't really make sense-it couldn't make sense. The first appearance of the Magician was over 25 years ago. In terms of age, he should be....atleast 40 years old. There was no way that he was a highschool student, right?