Chapter 32 - Culprit

He could hear the chirping of a sparrow from outside his room.
"..."
Without a word, Lucas glanced at the morning sun peeking in through his window and then turned his eyes back to the data on his computer screen and the impossible number of papers scattered around him.

These noted comprehensive information on the suspects and their reactions to Lucas and Shidou. Physical data like height, weight, blood type, the positions of moles; place of birth; family structure; current address and surrounding environment; and a detailed list of preferences, hobbies, and even fetishes- Ratatoskr had dug up all of this with no regard for privacy. Naturally, the data on the Spirits was full of gaps, however.
That wasn't all. Lucas looked over all the recordings of the suspects, as well. He knew that Ratatoskr had previously checked them over, but he had to see the tapes for himself.

"Already morning...huh?" Rubbing bleary eyes, he tapped at the computer and brought up the list of the remaining suspects.
Two days since Kurumi (and Tohka) disappeared.

During that time, he and Shidou had failed to identify the culprit twice, and a total of four suspects had disappeared.

The day after Tohka and Kurumi vanished, Tama-chan, named by Shidou, and Tonomachi had disappeared. The next day, Lucas had gone back to the beginning to reconsider all the information and named Hazakura Mai, who like Tama-chan hadn't mentioned any past details, and then Mai and Mii vanished.

Only Kotori, Origami, Kaguya, and Miku were left now. But no matter how much they looked into these four, they could find no sign that any of them was Natsumi.

"..." Lucas forced the gears of his hazy mind to turn. There was something he kept tripping over.
Suspects who seemed firmly in the clear. This fact had caused a single possibility to sprout in the back of his mind.
He still had no proof. And it wasn't like he knew for sure who Natsumi had turned into. But this possibility was a thought was like a powerful poison that could upend everything he'd done so far.
He fell into silent contemplation, and the door behind him opened abruptly.

"Lucas..." Kaguya stepped inside and frowned. "Hey...how are you doing...?"

"...Hey, Kaguya."

"Have you....been up all night again? Kotori told you to rest."

"...I'm fine missing a few days of sleep. I've had worse in the past. I'll need to continue researching."

"About that...Kotori was planning on canceling the investigation today, anyway, so you can get some sleep."

"...!" Lucas jumped. "Cancel? What do you mean? Then we'll have even fewer clues, though? Why would Kotori...?!"

"...?!" Kaguya flinched from the sudden raise in Lucas' volume.

"Ah! Sorry.....I'm sorry. I shouldn't be mad at you right now." Lucas apologized again and again, closing in on Kaguya and wrapping his arms around her. Kaguya was the only warmth with Lucas at the moment. She has been supporting him through the days. Without Kaguya, Lucas might have snapped completely.

"...Lucas. Look at this."

"...?" Lucas released Kaguya from his hug, and Kaguya showed him the white card in her hand.
For a second, he thought it was the message from Natsumi that had come with the photos, but it seemed that the text was different. He blinked and read the words on the card.

"How about we bring our game to an end?
Catch me tonight.
Otherwise, everyone disappears.
Natsumi"

"Wha..." Lucas gasped, as he sat up and took the card from Kaguya's hand. "What...on earth."

"It was in the postbox when I woke up this morning," Kaguya told him. "Kotori and Shidou have received the same letter too."

He swallowed hard. "Tonight... If we don't find Natsumi, the remaining suspects will all disappear. Is that it?"