Chapter 71 - Sanctuary of all Creation

On the battlefield, the sounds did not cease.

Gunfire. Detonations. Screams of lamentation. Roars of resentment. On the battlefield where the Wizards and Spirits were fighting, the explosive sounds of reiryoku and maryoku intermingled in the air.

Every scream or shriek released from here was concealed under layers of even more sounds of destruction. It was as if hell had been relocated to above ground. With just a seconds worth of negligence, the diligent Shinigami overseeing the field of carnage would claim the head above one’s shoulders.

However, during that time.

“........” Kunshu Lucas stood there in a strange silence.

It was not as if there were no sounds within the current vicinity, nor was Lucas' eardrums damaged from the sounds of an explosion heard in close proximity. It was only because....his attention was snatched away by the scene unfolding before him to the point where the surrounding sounds ceased to fall into his ears.

“A-ah……”

In that unnatural silence, only the painful voice of a girl echoed around in a delicate manner.

Her left and right eyes were widely open in horror. The tips of her unevenly tied hair were slightly shaking in jagged swings. Even her skin, which was pale as snow, reflected death in her appearance.

Tokisaki Kurumi. From the girl who had betrayed his trust, it was an appearance that could not be imagined of her.

However, it would be unreasonable to think anything less of that reaction. After all, a white arm was extending out of her chest.

This was neither a metaphor nor an exaggeration. Slowly, the fingertips began forcibly crawling out of Kurumi’s slender body. Such a scene resembled a single flower peeping out of a person’s face.

Accompanied by this sound, an “arm” extended out as if exposing its roots to the outside air.

What appeared from that was a young girl.

“Ah...” While staring at that face, Lucas unconsciously felt a small voice leak out from his throat.

Overly excessively beautiful, it was a girl marked by those traits.

Glossy hair that resembled silk thread, translucent white skin, even the languid expression projected by her pair of eyes seemed to only add further luster to her beauty.

“Ga……ah……!”

“……!”

Hearing the sound of Kurumi’s howl, Lucas felt his shoulders start to tremble.

“Zafkiel…………!”

As Kurumi’s bloodshot eyes were pried wide open, she re-aligned the antique pistol in her arm. Instantly, a dense shadow sucked into the muzzle.

Then, while pointing it at the girl growing out from her chest, she pulled the trigger.

However, at that moment, the girl turned her posture in order to gouge herself out of Kurumi’s body.

“Ga…………!”

Kurumi cried out an anguished voice as the released bullet slightly grazed past the girl’s skin before flying off into the distance.

The girl then narrowed her eyes.

“……I’m sorry. Tokisaki Kurumi. And, thank you. Thanks to you, I can stand in front of him once again.”

“Don’t. Screw. Around……”

With her breathing running ragged, Kurumi tried to raise her gun once again. However, with her weakened body unable to tolerate the weight of the girl, Kurumi collapsed on her back.