Chapter 53 - Zodiac

Legends tell that the amount of money you offer into a saisen-box doesn't seem to correlate with fortune, although simply throwing a 5-yen coin can bring about good luck.

However, tossing in six of those could lead to an ungratified destiny - thus is the meaning behind that myth. The 500-yen coin, having the highest nominal value, is meaningless to offer, carrying an excessive hundredfold of the original value. Well, the impartial gods wouldn't judge someone based on how much he or she offered, so anyone proffering a ¥10 000 note in exchange for a beneficial omen or prognostication would likewise end up with unfulfilled wishes.

Nevertheless, Lucas, being a senior high school student, a Realizer-engineer and a filthy rich sucker, hadn't the slightest notion of believing in those rumors. Yet, he still did for the sake of the association running the shrines.

"..."

He closed his eyes and made a wish.

Actually, for the almighty divinities situated inside the temple to grant worshippers their aspirations, such a possibility was not to be considered. Although there are 8 million deities that originate from Japan, it assigns people to gather the various wishes of worshippers onto a single deity's domain, this cruel legend.

However, Lucas did not bother to mull over the significance behind praying.
Aspirations, demands, and aims are things that everyone possesses. Such vivid circumstances also arise in everyday life.

Naturally, examinees and girls in love often portray their own wishes, but these kinds of people ought to live in happiness. Very few people who find themselves in turmoil and confronting adversity will ponder over their problems. Healthy people will unlikely be inclined to depend on themselves and those with wealth will not prefer to scrape a meager living with such aspirations.

Even though these are all extreme instances, everyone has their own subconscious bliss, therefore Lucas earnestly hoped.
The joy you feel now can last forever.

"...Phew."

Lucas gently exhaled and opened his eyes. Observing either of his sides, Lucas glanced at the girls who were praying in suit. Kurumi stood to his right, while Origami, Kaguya and Yuzuru were to his left.

Resplendent kimonos which gleamed under the sun decorated the attires of said devotes. They, together with Lucas, prayed for a rather long period of time, unknown of what each other were actually praying for.

"Oh, have you made your wish, Lucas?"

"Yeah. What did you wish for?"

"I wished for everyone to stay healthy."

"Haha, sound like something I can expect from you." It was indeed a Kurumi-like wish. Faced with such thoughts Lucas couldn't help but to smile. However, Kurumi continued.

"And, I wished for all of us to stay together, no matter what happens." Kurumi said that while emanating a sunny smile. Lucas momentarily widened his eyes.

"Aah, that's right" he giggled and nodded.

As if in tandem, the Yamai sisters - Kaguya and Yuzuru - shifted towards Lucas after completing their worship.

"What did you all wish for?"

As Lucas asked, Kaguya, who wore a kimono with alternating colors of orange and black, made a commanding gesture with her hand.

"Wish? Kuku... and I thought you implied otherwise. To conquer this miniscule plot of land to the extent of a deity's prowess was something I sought for long ago. Nevertheless, whosoever remains under my awe forsooth tremble and shudder."