Chapter 15 - Bedroom Tango

Fast forward to 6:50 PM.

The sun was setting, and the humid heat, which had been so oppressive during the day, was finally easing a little.

The class had waited for Tohka and Shidou to wake up before heading to the inn for the night. They all carried their bags to their rooms, had supper, and were now enjoying some free time.

All except for Lucas.

Two unidentified Spirits had shown up. The power they possess is unknown to both Ratatoskr and himself.
Kaguya and Yuzuru had settled down a great deal after Reine spoke to them at the museum. That wasn't quite enough to put his anxiety to rest, however.

He was on his way to Reine's room. When they left the museum, she told him to come see her later so that they could discuss their next steps. He didn't really want to follow any of those dumb options from Fraxinus but he went to hear what she was planning anyway. But he stopped as he approached the end of the hallway.

A head was poking out around each corner, and two sets of eyes were staring at him intently.
He quickly realized whom they belonged to and opened his mouth. "What are you doing, Kaguya, Yuzuru?"

The two Spirts stepped out in front of him.

"Keh-keh... You sensed my presence then. I'm impressed."

"Argument. Is it not that your hiding technique was poor?"

"...! I-I don't need to hear that from you, Yuzuru! I was hiding way better than you were!"

"Objection. There is no possible way that Kaguya is able to hide better than Yuzuru."

If Lucas were allowed to weigh in, they were both equally conspicuous, but he decided to keep that to himself. Seeing them fight like little children... it strangely made him smile. Was it because he hasn't experienced much of his school time, with his classmates and friends? He couldn't figure it out.

"What are you doing?" he asked, and the two girls exchanged a look before glancing back at Lucas.

"Keh. I shall tell you. You'd do well to come."

"Guaranteed. Come this way."

At exactly the same moment, they each pulled on one of Lucas' arms.

"...?" Looking back and forth between them, Lucas was dragged along until they reached their apparent destination.

A blue curtain and a red curtain were hanging over two neighboring entrances. One said MEN and the other WOMEN in big letters. They were at the outdoor bathing area the inn was famous for.

"...The bath?" Lucas frowned.

"Keh-keh." Kaguya nodded in her exaggerated way. "The stain of the everlasting darkness has accumulated on your body. Allow me to purify it."

"Huh?"

"Translation. She's saying to please get in the bath and get cleaned up."

"Ohhh, is that it...? But it's not time to take a bath yet. I don't have a towel or a change of clothes, either. And there's somewhere I need to be right now." He started to turn around and was yanked back by firm hands on each arm.

"Owww! Wh-what are you doing?"

"You believed you have a choice? Enough complaints about trivialities. Clear away your impurity."

"Petition. Please. We have made all the requisite preparations for bathing." Yuzuru dropped her gaze to indicate a stack of folded towels and yukata robes.

"Why would you...? What exactly are you planning?"

"Keh... My abstruse and sublime thoughts could never be understood by a human."