Chapter 56 - Just Highschoolers

"Ooh!"

Tohka, whose dazzling semblance was spectacularly ameliorated by the phenomenal mirage-matches, broadened her two twinkling eyes as she studied the interior of the palace's exhibitory special-purpose hall. She wasn't alone, as the Yamai sisters and Yoshino also vividly exposed their ardent enthusiasms while they inspected the gallery-like court in enthrallment.

Of course, that couldn't be helped. Lucas and the others were currently located inside the lavishly sumptuous party hall within the royal castle - a place which only existed within imaginary fairy tales.

The crystal chandelier which sparkled in glorious splendor like rare diamonds perfectly complemented the velvety vermillion carpet that impeccably bore no flaws. Even the marble pillars and the lofty stairways were designed with an exquisite avant-garde touch which put even the most refined aristocratic mansions to shame. Atop the grand oak table, that could easily be mistaken by peasantry commoners to be a ceremonial article used for holy rituals, were luxurious culinary delicacies and exotic gourmet food.

The majority of the people who gathered there were mostly from families of noble lineage or descendants of renowned craftsmen and scholars. Everyone attending the ball was wearing classy, à la mode attires and was playfully bantering with each other in eloquent miens.

Luckily, no one seemed to bother them as their shabby clothes were turned into formal clothing from the help of Kotori's matches.

The other guards were confused at first, at the ruckus that was happening outside, but no one seemed to have noticed the missing guard.

"Ah everyone, I understand your state of minds, but don't wander too far. If you go out of the flame's range, your true self will be revealed. Especially you, Tohka. You'll turn into Japan's number one in an instant. Bringing a katana to a VIP party is anything but reassuring."

Kotori informed them as she raised the emergency torch.

"Umu! Understood!" Tohka replied with plenty of vitality.

However, a few seconds later, next to Tohka, the Yamai sisters defiantly charged out of the flame's limited range instead.

"Uohh?!"

"Predicament. How unfortunate."

Kaguya's and Yuzuru's beautiful dresses instantly reverted back to the ragged patchy clothing that their representative characters had worn. The two let out unusual yells of bewilderment and speedily swayed their bodies like trained gymnasts, coordinately leaping backwards afterwards.

In spite of the fact that a few participants had their utmost attentions unimaginably evoked by the Yamai sisters' elicited yelps, Hansel and Gretel were not witnessed by any of them owing to the brevity of the two's evanescent affair. Observing the volatile scene from afar, Kotori sighed in a rather derogatory manner.

"Really, didn't I say to be careful? It might've been easy for us to get in, but it'll be just as easy to get kicked out or in the worst case get us in prison."

"S-Sorry..."

"Apology. I will exercise caution hereafter."

Disheartened, both of them reverently lowered their heads to express their remorseful regrets. Kotori could only shrug her shoulders helplessly.

"Alright... anyway, where's the said mermaid princess?"

"Uu... I can't see anything like that around here."

Just as Lucas keenly glanced around the expansive hall, an anonymous figure could be seen conceitedly approaching him out of the corner of his eyes.

"Good evening, pretty Miss."