Chapter 57 - Battle of the Cosmos

The distant realm, engulfed within the celestial light of countless stars, threatened to immerse every speck of negligence. The otherworldly view made one ponder if they had already been transported into their own dreamlike fantasies. Sinking into the night, it was as if Heaven and Earth had their positions reversed.

Yet, this description was not necessarily untrue. After all, Itsuka Shidou was at an astronomical zenith higher than the skies, a place which held the planet Earth under the viewer's eyes: the vast cosmos.

Everyone knew about space. Everyone was aware of the void. However, not many can say that they have trespassed on the domain of the gods.

Naturally, the diverse species on Earth could not survive here.

Not only did the absence of essential oxygen prevent biological processes from occurring, but the cosmic rays, which were normally blocked by the atmosphere, would cause detrimental effects on any living organisms. Unlike a fantastical landscape, this was a desolate world devoid of any life.

Despite these unfavorable odds, Shidou, without the assistance of a spacesuit or anything to preserve his lifeline, floated to the center of attention.

Although that may be so, it was a matter of course. Shidou did not enter the cosmos for mere sightseeing or swimming. He was there to unlock the sealed heart of the lonely girl who had fell into an eternal slumber within that barren, empty space.

"Mukuro."

Shidou calmly called out that name.

Mukuro, Hoshimiya Mukuro. He whispered that miserable Spirit's name. A young girl, with flowing golden hair that was longer than her frame and a fluttering constellation-themed dress that entwined with her slim stature, gently drifted in front of Shidou. Emotion did not, or had ceased to, exist on her innocent face. Her gorgeous pair of golden eyes still viewed everything in the world without a hint of interest.

"Hm." Mukuro lightly exhaled a breath and spoke. "You are pestilence in its essence, and a poor remembrance to add."

"Yeah, I'm a fool who doesn't give up and accept other people's intentions."

Shidou raised the corners of his mouth as he declared, while Mukuro merely sighed again. However, she could not find it in herself to harbor any disgust towards him.

Of course, that did not imply that the opposite was true. To be precise, Mukuro displayed absolutely no sort of emotion towards Shidou, be it malice or kindness. This unexpressive act merely deferred to her innate sense towards eliminating intruders in her territory. The abnormal mood stirred up the word puppet within Shidou's mind.

"............"

Nonetheless, that was understandable. Shidou shot a glance at the key-shaped staff held in the palm of her hand. It was the angel Michael, which possessed the ability to seal the functions of any object its tip stabbed into with a single turn of its bow.

According to Mukuro, she had utilized that power on herself, locking the window to her own heart. Exactly what personality resulted from that and how it affected Mukuro's mind was unclear. Yet from that outcome, be it joy, anger, sadness, or pleasure, Mukuro possessed none of those sentiments.

And yet she, who had forfeited everything to drift in that location far from the surface, was interfered and unobserved by anyone, leading solely a wanderer's purpose.

That's why Shidou arrived once more after being rejected before.

"Be it so, what bids you to come back to, even if the present does not waver?"

Mukuro tilted her head and questioned. It was most likely due to her bored expression that the act of slanting her head seemed like a taunting provocation.