chapter four

"Breakfast! Breakfast! Breakfast!"

Beatrice jumped slightly as a loud voice walked past her room, startling her from a dream filled sleep. She rubbed her eyes, turning onto her back from her side and staring up at the ceiling, letting the memories of the day before flood in. The girl let out a soft sigh, anxiety building in her stomach as she realized she would be meeting the entire clan today. She got up, walking towards the small shower and quickly showering, changing into some cargo shorts and a short sleeved button down. She slipped on her sneakers, throwing her hair into french braids, unable to pull back her side bangs into them fully.

She quietly exited the room, following the route she took yesterday back to the room she talked to Jake and Norm. Beatrice fidgeted with her fingers as she saw a good number of people standing around, eating and talking amongst themselves.

"Beatrice! Everyone, everyone! Jake is going to announce her to the clan today, this is Beatrice. The girl i was telling you all about!" Norm came out of nowhere, walking next to Bea and patting her on the shoulder. Everyone looked over at her, immediately giving her wide smiles and saying hellos. She smiled back at everyone, nodding her head. She looked back at Norm, watching as he pulled something out of his pocket before handing her the bottle of pills.

"Now, remember to eat first before you take one. Youll take one every morning. If you start to get low, let me know. Of course, we only have a limited supply, but youre the only one itll be going to. The clans Tsahik, Mo'at, might also have something for you to take, okay?" Norm explained gently, watching as Beatrice took the bottle and looked it over before nodding at Norm, saying a quiet thank you to which he only nodded. "We want you to live, kid, okay? So come to me if anything gets worse or gets better. Ill always be here, or around the clan in my avatar. We're family now." Beatrice couldnt help but feel the warm feeling in her heart, finally feeling accepted and more than just a body that needed to be taken care of. She nodded, smiling at Norm and thanking him once more before somebody stole his attention onto a screen, allowing the girl to move towards the table with lots of fruit on it. She quickly made a plate, sitting down by the corner and starting to eat.

As she ate her fruit, a couple of the older adults came over to her, starting conversations with her and asking her about herself. She gave them a brief rundown, realizing her life wasnt as interesting as the others, to which the older adults told her with a laugh that would change. Beatrice couldnt help but giggle at that, agreeing. Since everything happened the day before, she felt as though her life was finally starting. As she finished up her food, thanking the adults for chatting with her, she got up and washed her plate before making a cup of water. She quickly downed a pill, finishing her cup of water before washing the cup itself as well. She heard a chorus of hellos as someone entered, causing her to turn and see Neteyam enter the lab. He smiled wide at everyone, saying his hello back as he searched for Beatrice, nodding at her.

"I have come to get you, my dad wants to introduce you to everyone before we go harvest." Neteyam said kindly, a smile still on his face as he spoke to her. Beatrice smiled back at him, nodding before holding up one finger, asking for a moment. She quickly jogged back to her room, putting her medication up so she wouldnt lose it before jogging back to Neteyam. She found Norm talking to Neteyam, overhearing him telling the Na'vi that if she started to feel down to bring her back so she could rest. Neteyam quickly agreed with Norm, his tail swishing around him, before looking over and seeing Beatrice walking towards them. Norm patted Beatrices shoulder, telling her to be careful as she grabbed a mask and clipped the battery onto her waistband. She nodded at Norm, placing the mask on and depressurizing it, turning back to Neteyam and nodding her head at him to show she was ready.

They walked out together, falling into step with each other as Neteyam towered over her.

"Before you meet everyone, i would like to teach you ole ngati kameie. It means i see you, and is a form of respect towards others when you meet them for the first time."