chapter five

Beatrice felt so tiny on Neteyams ikran, her back against his large chest. He had picked her up earlier and placed her on his ikran like he was packing a bag, making Beatrice blush and continue to after he had climbed on behind her. Beatrice noticed how after Neteyam connected his queue to his ikrans, he let out a small shiver before they set off to the forest. Neteyam stayed silent on the flight, Beatrice feeling like she had somehow insulted him. Neteyam noticed how anxious Beatrice seemed, causing a pit in his stomach.

"Mawey, Bea. Calm." He whispered in his ear, his ikran becoming somewhat agitated and feeling it through his connection. Beatrice took a deep breath at his words, noting the Na'vi word in her mental dictionary.

"Sorry.." Beatrice spoke softly, petting the ikrans neck gently. Neteyam only patted Beatrices waist softly, one hand on his ikrans strand.

After some more time passed, Neteyam started having his ikran circle over a spot in the forest, slowly descending. Once they landed, he gently disconnected his tsuhaylu and jumped down, helping Beatrice down gently. He stroked his ikrans face gently before pulling off the net he had packed along with his bow and arrows so he could fish, patting the ikran on the side and clicking, letting the ikran go for a while. Beatrice looked around, smiling at the forests beauty widely. Neteyam watched her for a minute before ducking his head, playing with the net. Beatrice noticed Neteyam, tilting her head slightly. She sighed, taking a couple steps to him.

"What did i do?" She asked him firmly, determination seeping into her. Neteyam looked at her face, scrunching his face in confusion.

"What do you mean?" He asked, continuing to play with the net in his hands. Beatrice huffed, taking another step to him.

"I mean, what did i do? You suddenly seem like you dont even want to be around me. I thought we were friends.." Beatrice spoke softly, looking down at his hands.

"We are.. I just.. i do not want you to die, Bea. I just found you. I am scared that i will grow close to you and then Eywa will call you back to her." Neteyam admitted, his eyes roaming her face, trying to get her eyes to meet his.

Beatrice took a step back at his confession, the truth hitting her hard. She nodded her head slightly, coming to terms that she cant be friends with him, because she doesnt want her death to hurt him. She blinked back tears that were trying to form, suddenly feeling as lonely as she did back at the sky people base. It was cruel of her to want to make relationships with this family, and then die and leave them sad. She nodded once more, taking a deep breath before looking back up at Neteyam.

"Then we will not. I will keep to myself. Im sorry, Neteyam, for making you sad. Ill meet you back here in a couple hours." Beatrice spoke softly before turning on her heel and walking through the dense trees, searching for fruit. She ignored Neteyam calling for her, putting her focus on the plants. Neteyam chased after her, calling after her until he found her buried in a bush, plucking berries and stuffing them into a shoulder bag she had brought.

"Beatrice that is not what i meant. I want to make a bond with you, i want to be your friend. I want to make memories that i will cherish forever. Eywa brought us together for a reason, i can not doubt that."

Beatrice flew around, facing Neteyam and pointing her finger at his chest. She didnt want to be mean, but she would rather he be sad now then destroyed later after she died. "I dont want to be your friend, Neteyam. I dont want you to teach me Na'vi, i dont want to make memories with you, i dont want to be in your life. After we get back to base, we are strangers. I am just a disgusting human, i am insignificant. Do you understand?" Neteyam stumbled back slightly, his heart aching at her words. He stumbled over his words, stuttering as Beatrice continued to glare at him. She was kind of scary when she was upset.