chapter twentynine

Beatrice woke the next morning to the sound of rain, causing a smile to rise on her face before the bad feeling set in her stomach. Memories flashed of the rain that poured when she was nearly killed in the forest, causing the girl to rise slowly and rub her eyes. She sighed to herself, carefully leaving the sleeping Neteyam to start breakfast.

Beatrice stared out of the entrance of the pod as she sat next to the fire, cooking some fish for the two of them. She startled slightly once she felt Neteyams hand on her shoulder, him sitting next to her and kissing her shoulder. She smiled at him softly, allowing him to pull her into his lap.

"Good morning, my love." Beatrice whispered, wrapping her arms around his waist. He hummed softly to her in response, leaving a trail of kisses along her shoulder and up her neck before finding her lips. She loved how they had the freedom to act however they wanted, no worries about being in front of his family now. She kissed him sweetly, a smile forming on their lips as they broke apart. She took the fish off the fire carefully, the two eating together quietly before Neteyam spoke up.

"Have you noticed Lo'ak disappearing during the days?" He asked, a curious tone in his voice. Beatrice nodded, looking at Neteyam.

"He is with Payakan.." She admitted quietly, Neteyams eyes growing wide slightly.

"You heard Tsireya and Aonung, Payakan is dangerous! Why have you been allowing this?!" He almost shouted, his loud tone making Beatrice raise her eyebrow at him. He ducked his head, sighing. "I am sorry, love. He is just my baby brother.." Beatrice nodded, gently cupping his cheek.

"I met Payakan." She admitted once again, Neteyams head shooting up to look at her. "He is not dangerous. I believe he is just misunderstood, as your brother thinks himself to be."

Neteyam nodded, mostly to himself. "Do you know where they would be?" It was Beatrices turn to nod, sighing softly.

"If it will calm you, we can go see Payakan and Lo'ak interact." Neteyam nodded feverishly at her words, Beatrice nodding back.

Once the two finished their breakfast, Neteyam put the fire out for Beatrice as she tidied up. Neteyam took her hand lovingly, allowing her to lead. The two chatted about nonsense as they made their way to a sand bank, their heads shooting up as Tsireya, Roxto, and Aonung came running over to them. Beatrice scrunched her eyebrows together, concern growing on her face as she let go of Neteyams hand and took Tsireyas.

"Bea, i am scared that Lo'ak has gone to see Payakan again.." Tsireya admitted, causing Beatrice to chew on her lip nervously. Tsireya looked over Beatrices face carefully, becoming more worried. "I am right, am i not?" She asked softly, Beatrice sighing and nodding.

"We are heading there now to make sure he is safe. It may calm you as well, come." Beatrice said gently, grabbing the back of the younger girls head lovingly. They all called for ilus, climbing onto them quickly and allowing Beatrice to take the lead.

Beatrice led the group to Three Brothers Rocks, breaking the surface to look around and catch her breath. The group followed after her, looking around confused.

"Where are they, Bea?" Neteyam asked softly, his ilu coming up next to hers. Beatrice shook her head, chewing on her lip.

"They are always here. Lo'ak always tells me where they are going to be in case something happens and i need to get to him quickly." Beatrice took a deep breath, having her ilu dive quietly as she looked under the water. Once she spotted Lo'ak with Payakan she relaxed significantly, the rest of the group following after her. They swam through the seaweed, wanting to get a closer look. Beatrice scrunched her eyebrows as Lo'ak swam in front of Payakan, looking over at Neteyam as he tapped her.