chapter thirtyfour

Beatrice walked into her and Neteyams marui, her eyes looking over every single thing Neteyam decorated. She had no idea how she was going to live here by herself, but she knew she would have to deal with it.

She could feel her heart race as she looked at everything around her, angry tears building in her eyes. Suddenly she was at wall, her hands ripping down things that Neteyam hung up. Her hands found the cooking supplies next, makeshift pots and pans flying around the marui as heartbroken wails left her lips. She kicked over baskets of jewelry and supplies, her chest raising and falling heavily as she realized the mess she had made. The woman sniffled, her hands raising and burying into her eyes so hard that it hurt. Once she had taken enough calming breaths, her eyes fell to their baskets of clothes, another sniffle escaping before she gave in.

Her feet took her over to her woven basket, searching through to find a chest piece to replace her blood covered one, the blood being so dry that as she swam, it didnt come off.

As her hands grabbed onto the feather top she had worn for Neteyam, the nausea built up in her throat. She quickly shoved the top aside, grabbing onto a beaded top before standing. She quickly got changed, letting her hair down from Neteyams armband. She wrapped it around her wrist twice so it would fit, tying it tightly so it wouldnt slip off. Footsteps pulled her attention from fidgeting with the band, her eyes moving to the entrance of her pod and finding Lo'ak and Kiri standing at the entrance.

"Mom wanted you to get ready with us. Well, we all want you to get ready with us, but mom is scarier." Kiri said softly, giving Beatrice a broken smile. The woman nodded her head, taking in her millionth shaky breath before heading towards the brother and sister, taking their extended hands. She allowed them to pull her along to the Sully pod, her eyes never leaving the woven path. Once they arrived, they all walked in, Kiri sitting right next to Beatrice still holding her hand tightly as Lo'ak picked up Tuk.

Beatrice looked up as Neytiri sat in front of the girls, holding a bowl of white paint. The woman squeezed her eyes tightly as she motioned for Kiri to go first, noticing how Neytiri also had black paint on her face along with the white. Beatrices free hand fiddled with one of her braids, Neytiri beginning to sing Neteyams song cord as she painted her daughter. Her hand moved to the song cord on her in her waistband, realizing the was going to have to make or find a bead.

Kiri squeezed Beatrices hand softly, letting the woman know it was her turn. Beatrice looked up slowly, meeting Neytiris swollen eyes, knowing hers looked just as bad. She closed her eyes once again as Neytiris hand started to paint the white stripe down the middle of Beatrices face, trying to calm her breathing as the time grew closer. Neytiri slowly finished Neteyams song cord song, Beatrice opening her eyes as she felt Neytiris hand land on her knee gently.

"Ma'Jake, i need the red paint." Neytiri spoke softly, her voice cracking. Beatrice looked up at the mourning mother in confusion, Neytiri giving her a broken smile in return. "It is customary for the mate to also wear red."

Beatrice stifled out a sob, her hand coming to cover her mouth as Neytiri wiped Beatrices tears gently.

"You have always been mated in my eyes." Neytiri finished, cupping Beatrices face gently as she waited for the woman to calm. Beatrice sent her a thankful look, sniffling as she composed herself enough for Neytiri to continue with the paint. She could feel Neytiris fingers placing the red paint in intricate lines all over her face, not matching the mourning mothers paint. She sighed deeply as Neytiri finished, nodding her head slightly at her work.

Out of the corner of the womans eyes, she saw eclipse starting. A horn rang out through the village, Beatrice taking a shaky breath in as she stood, Kiri and Lo'ak taking her hands tightly once more. She kept her head down though, knowing she couldnt put on a brave face for the younger Na'vi even if she wanted to. She followed the kids slowly, the parents taking the lead towards the sea where the Metkayina started to crowd for the ceremony. As they walked towards the ilus waiting for them, Beatrice finally looked up, her knees shaking and collapsing as her eyes caught onto Neteyams body waiting patiently in the large leaf. Kiri and Lo'ak caught her, helping her stand back up as shaky breaths took over Beatrices lungs.